Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wago level connectors

Has anyone else discovered these Wago connectors?

This may be a bit of a strange topic, but after years of using connector blocks with screw thread terminals to join cables for things like wiring a light fitting these Wago level connectors are brilliant, and I only discovered them by accident whilst ordering some wiring heat shrink tubing.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3-way-leve...ck-of-50/76776

If I were an electrician by trade I would be ordering the large Wago installer box with multiple connector sizes. Simple but brilliant idea.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know the ones with the little lock, but the other ones, without screws, I'm using since 15 years or so. So what's so special about them?

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still use the screw ones, never saw those, but looks practical.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard about them a while back on Martin Lortons video blog. He was talking about various types of connectors.

They do look good. I ought to get some some time.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I didn't know the ones with the little lock, but the other ones, without screws, I'm using since 15 years or so. So what's so special about them?
    You don't need any tools (other than a wire stripper) and they are reusable.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Wire nuts" which seem quite popular in America also seem like a good idea for some jobs. Don't think I've ever seen them in use here.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Wire Nuts" were made illegal in the UK some 50 years ago because they are not a guaranteed secure wire connector. Also at the time many of them were made from ceramic and prone to cracking. This is why in the UK, and most of Europe you will see screw terminals and connector blocks used only. Also twisting wires together weakens the wires, and in addition more US electricians will just cut off an old Wire Nut and make a new clean connection, meaning the wiring gets shorter each time.. whereas in the UK we can just unscrew wires and then screw them back down, with no wire damage, no need to cut, strip or reduce the length.

These Wago connectors are a very good substitute for screw terminal blocks and have a few nice addition features, including a wire stripping length guide built in, and a testing point on the connector so you don't need to remove the wires to test the connection.

I was actually just looking at a couple of youtube videos about USA wiring and compared to UK standards it seems very out of date and quite dangerous by comparison. Just looking at their cabling, they have Black, White and bare wires within each cable, plus a paper core to strengthen the cable. This reminds me of cables I've seen in the UK dating back to the 50's. Our Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow colouring to me is much better. It also seems quite a mess using those Wire Nuts.. even in something as simple as a light fitting, compared to using a screw connector block.

What is everyone's thoughts on plug socket standards? It's always struck me that UK plugs and sockets seem a lot more sturdy and plug in more safely than plugs used in most other countries. Some used in other countries look quite dangerous to me and the small 3 prong plugs used in the US again remind me of plugs we had back in the 50's. Are UK plugs the only ones which are also fused?
    Last edited by Harrison; 30th January 2015 at 07:54.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't realise wire nuts were illegal. That would explain why I don't see them. I wouldn't want to use them all the time, but they do look like they would come in handy from time to time, even for electronics (non mains powered) stuff. I definitely should get some of the Wago connectors some time as I usually find the screw terminal blocks to be very fiddly.

As for American plugs, they are just flimsy and overall dangerous. Europlugs and Schuko plugs seem pretty good. BS1363 plugs are definitely the best . I've never used a BS546 plug myself, but they ought to be nice and sturdy, though strictly speaking they won't be as safe as a BS1363 plug.

For those not too familiar with BS1363, the following websites are well worth a read:
    http://www.bs1363.org.uk/
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have been using them for ages on the railway and I am in two minds with them. For large installations in REBs they are largely pretty reliable, for installations smaller not in REBs we tend to see high resistances forming across the contact strip. Also over use tends to cause some issues. So for me it depends on what these would be used for before I touched them.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    You don't need any tools (other than a wire stripper) and they are reusable.
    Like I said, have been using this kind of connectors since 15 years, they have always been available here.