Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any Thief fans here?

Hello all,

Are there any fans of the Thief franchise here?
    I recently have started playing Thief Deadly Shadows again on the PC.
    I know it is not the best example of the series and that Thief Gold and Thief 2 The Metal Age are rated higher, I also became rather sick of some of the small repetitive hub levels that seemed to share similarities with its 'cousin' Deus Ex Invisible War, but I wanted to start with this game because I understand that Thief 1 and 2 suffer from somewhat confusing level design. (where as Thief DS does complete the opposite)

Though I would not call myself a fan I like the lore and background ideas for this game (the City, Hammers, Pagans, Nobles, City Watch, enlightenment era meets steam punk)
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never liked the 1st person sword/magic figthing genre, if 1st person, gimme some nice guns

Didn't the last Thief game also get some bad reviews?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The first Thief game I played was the third one, and I really enjoyed that. I then when back and played this first 2. Liked the third one the most mainly because of little touches like hearing conversations and watching people go about their business whilst you are hiding. I have the new one too but not played it yet.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most that know me know I build fast PeeCee's to game on & 1st person shooters have always enthralled me....

but theif was a terrible experience for me.

Never tried 2 or 3.... "Once bitten" as they say.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It isn't everyone's taste of games, even I grew tired of constantly having to sneak around.
    So I followed up sessions of Thief DS with more action oriented games to alleviated that.

And yes, the last game in the franchise (though it can not be called a sequel as it is so far distanced from the original games in lore and gameplay) has quite some negative reviews and fan reactions, for one the increased linearity and some of the bad game design choices, some of which were already present in DS.

But it is nice to play just for a different setting when in general I only play sci fi games set in the near or far future.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]