Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition

It seems to be a good year for enhanced re-releases of great games because Icewind Dale has just been re-released in an enhanced version by the same developers, Beamdog, as were responsible for the great updated versions of both Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

http://www.icewinddale.com/

You can purchase it directly from Beamdog, or via GOG and Steam.

Well worth replaying.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Downloading...

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Started Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition this summer. I still intend to finish it. Intended to start BG2EE after but will maybe look at this instead. That'll be chronologically correct anyway, Icewind Dale came before Baldur's Gate 2, right?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the order they were released but the Icewind games are not directly linked to BG and actually play slightly differently.. more action RPG compared to the die hard AD&D rules BG games and only share the same game engine and rules. BG2 is much larger than the original and a more polished game overall.

Personally I would go on to BG2 but doesn't really matter too much.

There are a few other D&D based games released around the same time that I also hope will get an update. Planescape Torment being one of the best ever made, and the spiritual successor to BG, Neverwinter Nights series.

You also have Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, released in 2001, and less well known. It uses the same rules, isometric view etc, but the combat is turn based and the story not as complex, but still worth playing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great news. I will have to get it as I did enjoy the originals of all these games back in the day.
    Planescape Toment was definitely the best, but as for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, I never finished it as I found it buggy as hell
    [CENTER]Retired original Sysop of the Shoikan Grove BBS Australia.
    Amiga 500 Plus (68010, Indivision, CFIDE+8MB, KCS PowerPC) - Amiga CD32 (Indivision)
    Amiga 4000D (ZoRAM, Picasso IV, Concierto, X-Surf, Deneb, CyberStorm II 68060@72Mhz)
    Commodore 64C (C2N, JiffyDOS, 1541-II, 1581, 1541 Ultimate II) - PS4, PS3, GameCube & Dreamcast
    [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Storm8873/] [img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Storm8873.png[/img] [/url][/CENTER]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pool of Radiance was patched eventually and was quite stable in the end, but it was definitely buggy at the start.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I liked Pool of Radiance a lot, played it on the Amiga, along with other RPGs from SSI, like the Krynn series or Buck Rogers. I actually have a SSI collection, called Lost Treasures - SSI RPGS.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That was actually a different game..

The original Pool of Radiance was released on the C64, Amiga and a few others and was the first part of a 4 game series.

The newer Pool of Radiance: : Ruins of Myth Drannor is based on the same game world but it's not actually related to the original 4 games and is more hack and slash using a similar isometric view to BG.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah ok. Than I probably prefer the other ones anyway, because I prefer turn-based over real time, I really don't like hack'n slash at all, only with cheats

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is actually turn based, but most of the game is basically turn based hack and slash combat, if that makes sense.

Take a look at this video to get an idea:

I personally prefer the real time combat of Baldur's Gate with a live pause feature so you can setup each attack in your own time and then continue to play it out, over completely turn based combat.. although I prefer both systems compared to completely live combat such as Diablo.

Another of my favourites with the pause feature is the Dungeon Siege series.