Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Translation work really does take a lot more time than you would imagine. I've done some translations myself, and while you think you have a good grasp of the language you usually end up having to look a lot of things up to get the exact meaning of words and phrases to be certain you're translating correctly. Especially when it's for something real as this you get particularly conscious about doing a good job.

I think it's great that you've been asked to do it though, and hope they get their translation. Would be a great favour to those in the community whose english isn't very good.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Translation work really does take a lot more time than you would imagine. I've done some translations myself, and while you think you have a good grasp of the language you usually end up having to look a lot of things up to get the exact meaning of words and phrases to be certain you're translating correctly. Especially when it's for something real as this you get particularly conscious about doing a good job.
    Exactly, I noticed that already when I made some of the translations for him. One was f.ex. the text from the box of the game Puggsy, had to translate it to German and French, but took me quite long, as I really wanted it to be a perfect still making sense translation. I ended up having the dictionnary open all the time and checking for the best words to use.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With the Amiga community being so big in Germany, can't you try to find some A1K members willing to work on the project?

The thing is, like you say, it is so much work to translate something, plus (as I know from many multiple projects myself both online and for my work), it can be a nightmare to network and collaborate within a team and you can't rely on many to actually do anything.. leading to doing more yourself or ending up in arguments with them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the Amiga compendium yesterday, and I have to say it's really great. It came along with a signed postcard by Sam, an Amiga pen, some kind of a bigger Amiga stapler, a poster of Another World, a big Amiga sticker, and a CD with the soundtrack of Shadow of the Beast by Davit Whittaker (Shadow of the Beast 2015 remix album).

Sam also wrote me that he's not wanting anymore the books translated into french and german, he wants to refocus his priorities. I heard that he would like to start working on a Spectrum compendium next.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, so that's what that parcel I got a note about today is. I was going to wait till tomorrow and get it on my way home from work, but I might just have to go out today for it now.

Yeah, I heard about him wanting to do a Spectrum version. Thing is there are allready a series of Spectrum books also funded on Kickstarter called The Story of the ZX Spectrum in Pixels. The third volume which was not crowdfunded is available to preorder. I have the first two and they are to the Spectrum exactly what the Compendium books are to the C64 and Amiga. So I'm not sure why another one needs to exist. But if there's interest for it then by all means. I'll probably still get it just to have the complete set of Compendium books..