Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Cycling

Does anyone here go out on a bike much?

I started using my bike a lot last summer when I became too old for 40p bus fares.

I bought a new hybrid bike (a Specialized Crosstrail) late in 2009 as my previous bike was a cheap one from Decathlon which was starting to fall apart, and it was a bit too small.

I have used it a lot and am managing to go faster and much longer distances.

Who else makes use of two wheels?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to when I was younger, but haven't much since I learnt to drive years ago.

I did buy a new mountain bike about 6 years ago, as a friend's dad had a load come into his company at a very good price, and I have used it sometimes to cycle into the new forest, but not often. It's also not the best bike in the world, with the gears not being that accurate at changes into the correct ones or staying on the rear cogs that successfully, which isn't so good, so I don't think it was quite the bargain it looked at the time.

I do also still have a racer that was left to me by my great uncle, but it needs some TLC as I've not used it in over 15 years. I used to ride it everywhere and it was a great bike at the time. Light 531 tubing and hand made.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started cycling again about 2 years ago in a bid to get fitter and loose weight. After a few months I gave up again because I just couldn't be bothered.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I used to when I was younger, but haven't much since I learnt to drive years ago.

I did buy a new mountain bike about 6 years ago, as a friend's dad had a load come into his company at a very good price, and I have used it sometimes to cycle into the new forest, but not often. It's also not the best bike in the world, with the gears not being that accurate at changes into the correct ones or staying on the rear cogs that successfully, which isn't so good, so I don't think it was quite the bargain it looked at the time.
    Possibly that's something that could be overcome with a bit of tweaking, or new cables.

Whether or not that is worth bothering with is another question though, getting the adjustments right can be quite challenging.

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to cycle everywhere until I learnt to drive.
    Once I was a driver, I never really used the bike.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Possibly that's something that could be overcome with a bit of tweaking, or new cables.

Whether or not that is worth bothering with is another question though, getting the adjustments right can be quite challenging.
    I have given it a go, adjusting the cable tensions and altering the derailleur height, angle etc, which did improve things, but I still have to manually judge the position of the gear selectors to make the derailleur jump to the correct gear, and can't go by the numbering as you end up with the chain shooting off the end of the gears.

It does work, I just need to be careful when changing into the lower ratio gears.

I will definitely be considering cycling more this summer. Maybe even combining it with camping.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I literally have no room for a bike (yes, I know how little space a bike needs. I don't have it available), or I would've had one ages ago. Reason is I live very close to the town, so close that most things are really within walking distance. The large shopping centre which is mostly where I'm going is 30-35ish minutes to walk though, which I do only occasionally when I don't mind taking the time. But for most quick trips down there I don't bother and take the car. And it's trips like that I wish I had a bike for. Same with most of my friends and family. A little too far for a normal walk, but fine for a bike. I personally do think taking the car for these distances is lazy, but I end up doing that a lot anyway. Really do wish I had a bike.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to do some road cycling. I have a E.1600 bike sitting in the basement and rode it quite fanatically for 3 or 4 years. I actually did a tour from Amsterdam to Paris once (about 5 years ago), in which I sustained a knee injury during the last day. Since then, I haven´t used the bike much, if at all.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm considering getting into it, because now that I have a full time desk job, I don't have as much time to exercise, so it makes it easy to put on weight. I've lost about 5kg now, getting back to a lean machine, I've been doing weights, so strength is increasing as well
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to have a BMX when I was a child.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]