Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Harrison, you do realise that if you downsize your collection, you'll have more room... and if you have more room, you'll be able to go and collect other people's surplus Amiga stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    You're downsizing and I'm increasing mine..
    That is the danger. Has happened the last couple of times I've sold stuff.. ende dup with more than I began with!

It's impossible to turn down free retro gear though, isn't it?!

I think I need a house with a large barn. There would be no worried then!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Although it's very tempting to have as many Amigas as your space permits, as they are superb hardware, I find it a little bit odd. I've seen crazy signatures with 5 A500s, 3 A1200s and so on. The key to success is to have the Amigas you're really need and use of course. If you have so many Amigas, then you'll never have enough time to play with them, just turn them on and off and nothing more.

So, what I did, although I have 5 Amigas at home and nothing else? Easy, each Amiga for its purpose:

A600HD when I'm at the hotel in the summer period, small and portable.
    A1200 which I use it mainly for WhdLoading, adventures, protracker, devpac and other things almost daily.
    CD32 in the bedroom when I want to play some games.
    CDTV in the living room, especially tuned and modified to sit down on the couch and watch some oldskool demos.
    My AmigaOne X1000 which is my main computer of work.

Simple eh?
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Remember though that most of my Amigas were offered to me in large bundle collections, where I was more interesting in other items included.. especially where A500s are concerned as I really don't have much use for any of them.

My own Amiga's, owned since new, are the main ones I will always keep (A600, A1200, CD32).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I fonder of my Amiga than any other system I own. Why I never expanded on the Amiga setup a is beyond me. I guess it's finances and not wanting to spare the little retro cash I have on one area. That needs to change somewhat as my A500 has yellowed sadly.

Would love a CD32 but again the retro scene is becoming full of money maker eBay sellers and slowly pushing us real fans out to people really looking to speculate to accumulate.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Remember though that most of my Amigas were offered to me in large bundle collections, where I was more interesting in other items included.. especially where A500s are concerned as I really don't have much use for any of them.

My own Amiga's, owned since new, are the main ones I will always keep (A600, A1200, CD32).
    Sure, only a lunatic will not accept them.

On the other hand, we didn't mention any software, books etc, which I personally have a whole room of such stuff.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=Stephen Coates;52131]Harrison, you do realise that if you downsize your collection, you'll have more room... and if you have more room, you'll be able to go and collect other people's surplus Amiga stuff

You are not the only one. I keep getting boxes and boxes of floppy disk collections every time I'm offered someone's stuff, plus I now have hundreds of boxed Amiga games from various peopel that I still need to sort though as I need to offer the duplicates up for others.

As for other stuff, as most of you know I also collect Star Wars vintage items as well as novels, books etc.. a whole loft full in fact.. I can't display any of the larger boxed vintage SW vehicles anywhere, or any of the 90's carded figures I collected.. but I do at least have space to display my complete vintage SW figure collection. And a whole book case full of SW novels! Then there are the console games.. hmm.. I need to bigger house!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave, when you start feeling that your collection is taking up to much space or costing to much it is an indication to get rid of some of your collected items, in the best case by selling.
    But you shouldn't do stuff away just to collect the same or similar material again.

It is exciting to get boxes of discarded games and stuff, and I do recommend going through these for things you really want but your home shouldn't become some kind of dumping place for people's old home computers and software because they know they can probably get it rid off with you.

Earlier this year I did away with a lot of old PC games I knew I would never play or even sell as there would be no one interested in it these any more, despite the good conditions I kept them in.
    I gave them to a store that sells goods for money that is used for humanitarian aid in third world countries.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's never about spending money.. if you have the disposable income and enjoy collecting something then no issues. And I'm not giving up collecting retro hardware or software. However like many others in the retro scene I always collect stuff that I wished for at the time and can now suddenly own and smile that I finally have.. but times have moved on and other than as a curiosity to tinker with a lot of it really isn't that useful for productivity any more.. and there is a lot of retro hardware I no longer have a need for and will never use again.

And now we have Everdrive's for consoles, and USB floppy drive emulators for computers (Gotek and HxC) we really don't need to horde quite so many original games for them either.

Regarding PC games, as you mentioned, I've actually been grabbing older games I owned on physical media when they come up on sale on Steam. That way I will always own a copy of the games I enjoyed in the past, with an easy way to access and reinstall them if I ever want to play them again. I can then get rid of the original boxed versions and free some more space. It is the software more than anything else taking up the space.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got an A4KD mobo available H?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need another one Kin?

I do actually have one but it needs repairing as it's had battery leak damage.. not sure how bad yet as I've not had chance to access it. Let me know if interested.