Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Moving House

Finally we have some good news!

As some of you know our house flooded for the second time at the end of last year on Christmas Eve 2013 (the first time in July 2012), and we have been in a rented house since then. Although we do love the rented house as it's a 1600s country cottage in a quiet country lane looking out over fields.

The restoration of our own house was completed a couple of months ago and looks like a brand new house, so before we flood again we decided to try and sell it and move.. however we were a bit worried about potential buyers reaction when they learnt of the flooding.. Anyway we had a lot of interest in the house and even a couple of offers.. and last week we finally accepted one so are in the process of selling the house now! And the buyers are fully aware of the flooding and are not bothered as they want to let the house.

And some more good news.. we found a house we liked a couple of miles from our existing house and after some negotiation regarding price we finally agreed a price at the end of last week, so it looks like we are moving to a new house.

It's actually a 1906 built end of terrace house with a really long 120 foot rear garden (about 37 metres for the Europeans on here). Fully updated with a nice extension on the rear creating a large open planned L shaped rear Kitchen, dinning and rear reception.. plus another separate reception room at the front.. an 3 bedrooms, plus the possibility for a loft conversion (as someone down the road is in the process of doing one and she showed up her house to give us an idea). It also has working open fires in the front living room and the dining room.

Finally something to look forward to, and a place we can finally focus on making our proper home again.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent news harrison .

Sounds like the new place will be a good size. I envy the big garden . I live in an end terrace, and our garden is small.

I'm surprised that the buyers weren't too bothered about the flooding. Do you know whether it is likely to happen again?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great new, I'm happy for you.

And like Stephen mentioned, do you think there could be flooding again? Did they built some protection or similar now?

And is the new house, as it's quite close, safe from flooding?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There wasn't any flooding at or directly near the new house during either of the 2012 or 2013 floods. The only flooding was the main road in the same village, but they have upgraded the drains and it didn't flood at all last year.

At our existing house there are a lot of issues with mains drainage. There are balance ponds at the top of the main road that are meant to catch excessive water before it runs down the main road leading to our road, but these were silted completely up, but are meant to now be cleared and restored. Drainage ditches were also full of rubbish but should now be clear, but also the main road hasn't got large enough main drains to cope with excessive rain fall, and our house is situated at the natural lowest point where all the water end from the roads and gardens, so I still expect issues in the future with it.. And as it's happened twice, we don't want to take the risk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good call H. Wishing you all the best with proceedings.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.