Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some new books from Bitmap books have arrived.

As some of you might know Bitmap Books have a new book on the way dedicated to exploring Japanese RPGs. Apparently they have received early preview copies, so it shouldn't be long. I will definitely be getting a copy as soon as stock arrives.

A lot of their existing books have been out of stock for quite some time thanks to recent lockdowns making people gain interest and start buying more. But last week they finally got their first new stock of reprint runs in. So I grabbed a couple of the books I've wanted for some time.

20210514_143935.jpg20210514_144233.jpg

The first is Point and Click Adventures. This is an amazing book. So much love and care has been put into creating this. Loads of interviews with developers, plus exploring the best of them over the years. Well worth buying for all Adventure fans.

20210514_144348.jpg20210514_144356.jpg20210514_144456.jpg20210514_144516.jpg20210514_144756.jpg

The second book is an officially licensed history of the SNK Neogeo system.

Being Japanese only, like many, I never owned any of the NeoGeo systems. I've always been fascinated with them because unlike other consoles they designed them to run perfect arcade versions of their games. I know it's possible to buy them via imports and within the retro community, but they are very expensive (one of the reasons it was actually seen as a failed system) and the games are hard to obtain. So I've only ever played a few originals in the arcades, and those that were later ported to the Dreamcast, PSX and PC. And others via emulation.

This book is really nice. It goes into great detail. Showing the system's development. Concent development. Interviews with lots of developers. There are whole sections dedicated to screenshots, box art, posters, magazines. This is a really nice book. Very high quality.

There are still a few of Bitmap books I want to buy, but they are currently unavailable. I'm closing in on nearly having the whole set. All brilliant and lovingly crafted.
    Last edited by Harrison; 15th May 2021 at 10:54.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to give a special mention to the level of care and attention given to their packaging.

20210514_143738.jpg20210514_143759.jpg20210514_143820.jpg

The books are shipped in some of the best packaging I've ever seen. Make Amazon's look very poor. And with little finishing touches too. Even if you order multiple books they all arrive individually packages. Brilliant.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also got the Point'n Click book, it's great.

The nicest books I got so far are the 3 masters of pixel art books, you can grab them here: https://nicepixel.se/product/triple-...-volume-1-2-3/

Volumes 1 & 2: some of the best pixel art work ever created on the Amiga and Commodore 64 and other retro 8-bit platforms like the Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, Atari XL-XE, Commodore Plus/4 and MSX. Plus the volume 3 featuring contemporary pixel art.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I hadn't seen those books before. Will add them to my short list.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That point & click book does look good. Was it expensive?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    £29.99 plus shipping.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/produc...dventure-games

Looks like it's out of stock again until June. A lot if their books are also on Amazon, but the advantage of buying directly is the included PDF of the whole book.