Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows Key and a story with Microsoft suport

Hi, remember i got a new laptop?
    Well, i have a story that ended with me changing the laptop for a new one....

I am noob erlated to Win8 so when i fist boot it up, he said that i needed to validate windows key. He was saying i did not had a valid key. By the message i didn't understand, i thought that i just didn't yet hit some key/option to make a register. So only after some days of tests i when to "register" windows. When i try to do that, i was already with an upgrade to win 8.1. Windows said it had a invalid key. I went to google and check that a key for Win 8.0 would only work with 8.0 and not for 8.1 i could register 8.0 and after upgrade to win 8.1. So i delete everything and install win 8.0 again so i could register windows. He said "no way man, this key is not valid" i was f...... up. I call Microsoft to a generic number and the automatic answer says something like this:

For a windows question press 1
    For a office question press 2
    For a sales question press 3

and every option would open in more 4 or 5.... after 5 minutes i had pressed 10 numbers and i could not find any human to talk to.... After 20 minutes i was able to find someone in same option about printers..... fxxxx
    that guy pass the call to someone else....

I explain that my key was not working, he asked me what was the key....
    i didn't know... i was not printed anywhere, windows only show, the last 4 or 5 digits....
    fxxxx
    i hang up
    i download a software to check the serial number.
    I call again to microsoft but i forgot the combination to get to a human.... fxxxx again.... more 20 minutes to discover someone....
    finally i gave the serial to the guy from support and he says the that key had been used 130 times.... he said to call HP for support
    i could not believe this shxxx i went to the store where i buy it, and looks like it was the final computer of that model, and they gave me one that was already sold to a costumer that for some reason did not keep the pc and gave back to the store so i was the 2nd costumer with that pc..... fucxxxx

At this time i explode and gave the computer back and got a refund. I came back with a Toshiba...

I could not find any other 17" for that price, so i got a 15.6" full hd with 8GM Ram with a ge force 745M 4GB video. The pc is very similar with the other, except the screen is smaller and this new video card a a bit better, from 740m 2gb to a 745m 4gb (even that 4gb video ram for gaming doesn't make a big difference)

End of story....
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh man, seems that the guy from the shop was only hoping that the laptop would work, as he should have told you in advance that you would get a "second" hand laptop already, and you should have been given a big discount for taking it. I hate sellers like that!

M$ support seemed also to suck a bit, but in the end, it wasn't their fault.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is really bad. They basically sold you a used and returned product as new, with an OS that could be viewed as pirated due to using an existing used key. In the UK trading standards would be really interested in this.

In the UK such products are sold discounted by stores as customer returns or refurbs.

Sometimes this works out ok. We got a top of the range dishwasher from John Lewis reduced from 900 to 300 because it was a customer return and one of the feet was slightly bent. Has worked perfectly for nearly 6 years so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's just damned wrong!

Btw, more RAM on Graphics cards will only benefit BIGGER screen resolutions.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont know how it works in your countries but here shops can sell a product that was return from a costumer in a 15/30 days period. the fact is that the laptop was in great shape, no sign of use, it was well packed everything was fine. Microsot is not to blame, is not there fault for a key used 130 times, but the support center is bad. And i spoke with 2 "humans" that spoke Portuguese but they were from Brazil. Language is the same, but one of them had a strong accent it was hard.
    Anyway i want to forget this, i am happy with my new laptop. I try Skyrim and Metro last night and i was able to play at 1360x1024 full detail. At 1980x1080 is difficult i have to reduce detail. Only Train Simulator runs ok, but with some frame rate getting low in some detail stations. Skyrim and Metro i just can't do it at full hd.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    I dont know how it works in your countries but here shops can sell a product that was return from a costumer in a 15/30 days period.
    That is illegal here in the UK. As soon as a product has been opened it is no longer classed as new and can only be sold as ex-display or a return item. The only exception would be items that have been unboxed, as long as they haven't been switched on or used, but normally if you argue in the shop that it is open or the box is missing we can normally get some form of discount, sometimes 10% or more.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No such law here... stores do it all the time, they say the costumer has 15/30 days to try the product, so if if it's not ok, you can give it back.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, we can return a product and most larger stores will give a full refund within 28 days, but the store can't then resell the returned item as new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was working in a TV and hifi shop we used to sometimes box up demo tellys and sell them as new. I'm not proud of it, but we were excellent at boxing them up as if they were factory fresh.