C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

[PC] - Speedball 2 HD

Did anyone play it yet? I'm currently downloading it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nN0KxfwqgE

- - - Updated - - -

Just tested it, plays quite well, although I think it's a bit slower than the original, which is perhaps not a disadvantage.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I've got in on the PC and I've been disappointed so far. Not sure exactly what it is, but it just doesn't feel right. The graphics look a bit too clean and nice, and the gameplay feels a bit sterile.

You are probably right that it doesn't play quite as fast. Also the controls seem less responsive. On the Amiga original it was great fun hammering the fire button and holding up when the ball was released, so your player did an instant sliding tackle into the opponent, sometimes KOing them, instantly grabbing the ball and running for a goal. It doesn't seem to ship that now because by the time the play moves the opposition already have the ball and are running towards your goal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure about the graphics either, I kinda like the menus and how the faces of the players are done, but on the field, it's like you said, a bit too clean.

I also noticed that there was always a little lag when I pushed a button, doesn't feel right.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad I wasn't alone in noticing the control lag. Maybe they can fix that with an update. I might post on the Steam community page for the game and see if anyone has noticed the same as us.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't tried Speedball 2 HD yet, but Chaos Engine had the same lag-issues with the controls. Nigh unplayable. Pretty sure it's the same people who did both conversions. Tempted to get Speedball 2, but not sure if I want to give these people more money for a shoddy product.