Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

[PC] - Memory issues

Since some time I have memory issues on my PC. There seems to be memory getting allocated for different tasks, but never released again.

This happened now several times during the last months. The memory goes down and down and down, f.ex. yesterday I only had 3% of memory left, this morning it was only 1% anymore, and the PC kind of freezes, you cannot really work anymore with it.

I checked, and there is one svchost task running which took about 11GB of my 12GB memory, and when trying to kill the process, I get an access denied notification, thus making it impossible to get rid of it. Don't know what this one is though, I have of course several of these svchost tasks running, but you cannot tell which one makes what.

So I had to restart the PC, which was also not possible, because it got eventually stuck on the restarting screen, so I had to reset the PC. Back up again, everything was normal, why wouldn't it be anyway, memory was free again, but when I started uTorrent f.ex, there were no torrents anymore, when I started Firefox, it didn't restore my tabs, and also PeerBlock reported some empty lists. Nothing important, but annoying.

I just wanna know if there's one task which is accumulating memory and not releasing it anymore, or could there be something else causing this?

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    How is your memory at mother board? 4+4+4? Are they all of the same speed and brand?
    try to remove one and see if it freezes again, repeat the process and try to isolate the bad one (if it is a memory problem...)
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I won't open anything, don't have the patience for that, and I'm 99% sure this is software related, as it happens only sometimes, like once a month or so, if it would be a hardware problem, it obviously wouldn't go away at all.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Biggest culprit for memory leading like is are browsers and torrent clients. It's not happened for some time, but I've had most ram used up and when I've looked in tasks it has been Firefox. Ending its process normally clears it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Firefox only took like 1%, uTorrent took 300MB. After closing them, it didn't help, that svchost had still the whole 11GB.

Btw, I have 2x2GB and 2x4GB dual channel RAM. But the hardware is not the issue. Like I said, this happens only from time to time, perhaps even less than once a month, but I have to mention that my PC is running 24/7, restarting it sometimes definitely solves the problem, if existing. Nothing to worry about, just would like to know which svchost it is.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    svchost.exe is the process that runs all windows services. Multiple copies of it can be running at once because each is running different services and one instance of svchost can be running multiple services. One of your services is playing up. To see which service is the issue right click on svchost.exe and select "Go to Service(s)". That will tell you which service it is, and you can use services manager to restart or disable it if you don't need it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pls tell me your exact Hardware Specifications. - IE: - Mobo Part number & type of Ram used & the OS you are using.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    svchost.exe is the process that runs all windows services. Multiple copies of it can be running at once because each is running different services and one instance of svchost can be running multiple services. One of your services is playing up. To see which service is the issue right click on svchost.exe and select "Go to Service(s)". That will tell you which service it is, and you can use services manager to restart or disable it if you don't need it.

I know that, I have about 10 different svchost tasks running, and I only thought you could kill the process by right clicking, didn't see that you have an option that links you to the service. So that's definitely one thing I will do next time this happens, wonder which service it is, perhaps I could disable it for good, if it's not needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Pls tell me your exact Hardware Specifications. - IE: - Mobo Part number & type of Ram used & the OS you are using.
    Psssst!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Biggest culprit for memory leading like is are browsers and torrent clients. It's not happened for some time, but I've had most ram used up and when I've looked in tasks it has been Firefox. Ending its process normally clears it.

Browsers are almost certainly not the culprit here, but I can confirm that they can use a heck of a lot of memory. On my machine, Opera often used many hundreds of megabytes, especially if I've had things like Flash running.