Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ H

There are so many conditions that can be affecting SC's connection, I feel it best not to complicate things with my issues, as these realms might send SC in the wrong direction and/or cause unnecessary worries.

Personally, I'd also like to "not go on" about it..... - The record has a groove in it, ....deeper than the Grand Canyon.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pleased to say we are getting an uncapped connection from the start of next month .

I also ought to buy a new ADSL modem as my line has been ADSL2+ for some time now, but my modem only supports MaxDSL, so I can probably squeeze an extra couple of Mbps out of it.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I highly recommend Billion routers. Well worth it. If you want a feature picked one get the 7800n, but if it's features are not needed then their lower priced ones like the 5200 are great.. I got my parents one of these and they never had an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was pondering getting a DrayTek modem. They do a dedicated modem which ought to work fine with my existing router (of which I am thinking about changing the software on), but I'll definitely keep Billion in mind. I've known of the company for some time, but haven't really considered them before.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Draytek are also good.

Whatever you get try to get one that supports both ADSL and a direct WAN connection (used for cable and fibre). This is a useful inclusion because if you later upgrade to fibre you can use the same router.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've ordered a DrayTek Vigor 120. Its a dedicated modem, so should work reliably, and be compatible with most routers. Ordered it from Dabs. Funnily enough, I've known of Dabs for many years, but never actually bought anything from them till now.

I expect I will be using ADSL for a good few years, so if and when I do get fibre, I'll just get dedicated fibre hardware then. Although fibre does look tempting, realistically, I don't have much use for the extra speed and because of that it isn't worth the extra money.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Faster downloads are great, but for me the huge bandwidth difference with fibre finally allows the internet to work as it should. Fluidly. No horrible pauses or buffering, or waiting hours for a Windows updates or a game to download or update. Just a few minutes for anything.

Something else it also finally allows is on demand services. With ADSL it was a bit ofa joke trying to stream even YouTube, but with fibre I can access Sky OnDemand on HD in real-time, stream hd YouTube and any other video services. It makes the need to own films and music less important as you can just select and play it when you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Faster downloads are great, but for me the huge bandwidth difference with fibre finally allows the internet to work as it should. Fluidly. No horrible pauses or buffering, or waiting hours for a Windows updates or a game to download or update. Just a few minutes for anything.

Something else it also finally allows is on demand services. With ADSL it was a bit ofa joke trying to stream even YouTube, but with fibre I can access Sky OnDemand on HD in real-time, stream hd YouTube and any other video services. It makes the need to own films and music less important as you can just select and play it when you want.

No Fluidity here on Fibre. Hell, ..... I even get CHOKE on a 38Mb connection with interleaving off. -Total pi$$ take H. - Nothing registers so you end up firing blanks from ur AK47. - Dick Head BT muppets ffs.....

Meh!....record again.....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My current 8mbps connection is fine for streaming video. Well, it manages 720 line video fine. 1080 lines is pushing it a bit. I still prefer downloading videos to the HDD though where possible just for reliability, as sites such as YouTube can be a pain in the backside, regardless of connection speed.

Harrison, how long do your Windows updates take? I just updated my entire Debian OS and it took well under an hour to download.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends how large the download is. I normally get over 8MB/s for Microsoft downloads. For Steam it always maxxes the connection, which is normally 9-10MB/s, so a 8GB game downloads in under 16 mins.