Poll: Buying a PS4 or Xbox One?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    ..but I've realised long ago that this generation, for a guy that only gets one of the consoles the 360 was a better platform than the PS3. At least until PS+ came around which is a great deal. If I'd known what I know today I'd probably have chosen differently...
    Really? What made you think that. For me owning a PS3 first, I eventually decided to buy a 360 only last year to play the few exclusives it had available so I hadn't missed out on them. I really don't like the 360 anywhere near as much as the PS3. Don't like the dashboard as much, or the game store.. although scrapping the points and putting real values on items is a huge improvement recently. But I still don't like the system as much. Maybe it was just because I am so used to and prefer the PS3.

But I must say I hated it when Sony completely redesigned the PS Store. Initially I really didn't get on with it, but they really seem to have continued work on it for the better, and although you can see a lot of 360 dashboard inspiration the PS3 store's interface is really nice to use these days. Anyway.. I digress.

I was a bit late getting into the current generation, buying a PS3 when the Slim was released. Mainly because I just wasn't too interested early on, and also because I had a ton of games on the PS2 and PC to play through. And not getting a 30 until the slim last year. I also hate paying release day prices for games, and buying a system late really provides you with a lot of cheap gaming.

@Teho. What games are you buying with the PS4? And are looking forward to?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit same like Phantom with me, I still have over 200! games to play on my PS3, they are gently waiting on my disk to get launched, at least once

I also don't see the big difference yet from PS3 to PS4, I mean the change from PS2 to PS3 was huge, but now, games that are coming out now for the PS3 are still looking awesome, and there's many of them I still MUST play.

But I will definitely, like last time, go first with Sony's console, I'm also eager to see how, and how much they will integrate remote play, as I have the Vita lying there since 6 months, and it has barely been touched.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just buy a decent Gaming PeeCee & save urselves all the hassle.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have over 200! games to play on my PS3
    You
    Long live to CFW...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Kin puts on his favourite record!

PC gaming is great, but..

For most of us though, we buy the consoles eventually to play the exclusives never released on the PC, plus you have the unique controller setups. I will eventually get an Xbox One for Fonza 5 and others, and whilst GT6 is coming on the PS3 and I will buy it, the next will be for the PS4 and so I will need one.

Then there are RPGs. We see a fair few on the PC, but nothing compared to the consoles.

And the Wii-U has finally seen its first must own title, the new Mario.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    You're lucky that I live hundreds of miles from you. Or else your gaming peecee.... you know...
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A decent gaming PC is over double the price than a PS4. I want to lie down on my couch and play the games on my beamer, even in 3D, and I don't wanna sit in front of a small PC screen. I also don't want to carry the PC with mouse and keyboard, into the living room, to connect it to the beamer to play, that's inconvenient. PC is nice for playing strategy games, that's it (and of course for managing the console games )

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    ..but I've realised long ago that this generation, for a guy that only gets one of the consoles the 360 was a better platform than the PS3. At least until PS+ came around which is a great deal. If I'd known what I know today I'd probably have chosen differently...
    Really? What made you think that. For me owning a PS3 first, I eventually decided to buy a 360 only last year to play the few exclusives it had available so I hadn't missed out on them. I really don't like the 360 anywhere near as much as the PS3. Don't like the dashboard as much, or the game store.. although scrapping the points and putting real values on items is a huge improvement recently. But I still don't like the system as much. Maybe it was just because I am so used to and prefer the PS3.

But I must say I hated it when Sony completely redesigned the PS Store. Initially I really didn't get on with it, but they really seem to have continued work on it for the better, and although you can see a lot of 360 dashboard inspiration the PS3 store's interface is really nice to use these days. Anyway.. I digress.

I was a bit late getting into the current generation, buying a PS3 when the Slim was released. Mainly because I just wasn't too interested early on, and also because I had a ton of games on the PS2 and PC to play through. And not getting a 30 until the slim last year. I also hate paying release day prices for games, and buying a system late really provides you with a lot of cheap gaming.

@Teho. What games are you buying with the PS4? And are looking forward to?
    Not saying the PS3 was a bad system, I've been very happy with it. The only reason I have for saying that the 360 would have been a better choice for a one-system owner is the cross-platform titles. They were always developed with the 360 as the lead platform so consistently performed better there. Both platforms have their exclusives, when buying only one you're going to miss out on the others. Doesn't really matter which way you go there. Haven't actually played around enough with a 360 enough to have an opinion on usability and such though, only know what I've read. And yeah, I've heard the UI is a cluttered mess these days. Also, did you know that those outside of english-speaking countries are forced to use a translated UI on the 360 now? Can't choose the language yourself. And the norwegian translation is said to be atrocious, which is no surprise. Norwegian isn't exaclty a major language, and translation work is often shoddy even in major and popular releases. Since most scandinavians know english reasonably well many people prefer to go without translation. I even turn off subtexts in movies because they're just distracting.

I can give some examples of norwegian translations in major works. Star Wars is pretty big, right? But when episode I was shown in theatres they managed to find the one guy who hadn't heard of a lightsabre. He translated light as in the opposite of a heavy sabre. Another popular example was in an episode of Friends. When two characters were talking about having makeup-sex, a lot of norwegian viewers were wondering what rouge and lipstick has to do with sex..

In videogames it's even worse. Nobody really cares, so most don't even have norwegian as an option if it isn't designed for kids. But some like the Uncharted games do. I had the subtext on just for the hell of it, and it was just stupidly bad. And not even in a fun way. At one point a character asks Drake to do something and he replies "I got it". The translated subtext would say "I'm holding/carrying it". Things like that. I saw a Half-Life 2 achievement recently that you get for killing five barnacles with one barrel. Obviously the game talks about one of the exploding barrels, but the translation uses the word for the barrel of a gun.

So don't force translations on people. Not a good way to make us happy. This was a recent development though, I think it was the last update to the dashboard that did this. Saw a lot of raging on norwegian boards around then.

Edit: Oh, PS4 games. I have two on pre-order: Infamous and Watch Dogs. And both have ended up not being launch titles. Infamous never was, but Watch Dogs was going to be and was delayed. I'll be downloading a couple of titles to start with. Interested in seeing how Driveclub is, that one has some potential. Good thing there's a free version to try for plus members. Also plus members get Resogun for free, which is by Housemarque who did Super Stardust HD. It's getting great reviews so am definitely getting that one. Need For Speed Rivals looks good, and the new Killzone is supposedly not too bad. I didn't like 2 and haven't played 3, but I've played Killzone Mercenary on the Vita and that's pretty good. So might be getting the PS4 game. I was also interested in seeing how Knack would turn out but it has generally gotten middling to negative reviews. Will probably try out if it turns up as a free game for plus members at some point. That's all I can think of at the moment, I know there's not that much interesting at release just like people say but there is enough there to hold me over till late releases start turning up. Besides, I've a huge backlog on Steam and on the PS3 so don't need to rely on the PS4 for all my gaming.
    Last edited by Teho; 22nd November 2013 at 07:33.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Who has preordered or is about to buy a PS4 or Xbox One

I didn't know about the 360 forcing translation onto non English speaking countries. I'm guessing it was Microsoft's attempt to boost late game development and releases because translation costs a lot for developers and the 360 was flagging badly towards the end.

One thing the PS3 always had in it's favour was being able to play bluray. But I suppose that isn't as relevant now that streaming is taking off, although I can really tell the difference between tv and streamed hd compared to bd.

Regarding launch titles I was just looking at a list and regrettably isn't anything for the ps4 I would want that is exclusive. from the non exclusives maybe assassins creed 4.. But I wil probably get that on pc. The Xbox release day lineup actually is more interesting to me, with crimson dragon, dead rising 3, and Fonza 5.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talking about XBox 360, I can not even chose Luxembourg as a country, it's not existing. I have to chose Germany and enter a fake address, which is stupid. The UI is then also in German, which I don't bother so much, it's just that I prefer English, and my girlfriend needs it to be in English. Apparently this doesn't still change for the XBox One. Someone should tell Microsoft that Luxembourg is actually an own country, and does NOT belong to Germany.

Btw Teho, Killzone 3 is pretty good.