Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Earth and Beyond (Space MMO)

Did anyone else play the Space MMO Earth and Beyond?

It was released in 2002 and ran until 2004. Wiki link here.

This was, and still is, one of my favourite MMOs, and space trading games.

Net 7 Entertainment Inc.

Since its demise (EA closed down the game servers in 2004), a dedicated group of people calling themselves Net 7 Entertainment Inc. (Net 7 is a famous location within the game) managed to reverse engineer the game and create the Earth and Beyond Emulator. This works much like the original game, with the original game client plus a special Net-7 unified installer which patches the game to work with their own servers. You then create an account and log into their servers to play the game.

AFAIK they have managed to reconstruct pretty much the whole game as it was, plus add in 2 additional races you can play that were not active yet in the original game, plus they have expanded the game universe to make it larger then it was originally.

Playing it again

I tried the Net 7 release when it was first in development. It worked but you couldn't do that much. However it is meant to be fully working these days so I thought I would give it another try and see if the game is still as good as I remember from all those years ago.

You can download the client and join the game from:

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This has also got me wondering if the hacked PC version of Phantasy Star Online V2 is still working. A group did a similar thing for PSOv2 is allow players to continue playing that great game on private servers. I will have to investigate.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Full instructions taken from the Net 7 site on how to setup and run the game:

I get in the game, please follow the instructions below. If you have any issues, please refer to the forums.

1. Click on the 'Register' button to the right of the Earth and Beyond Emulator Logo.
    2. Fill in the details on the registration page and confirm your email address.
    3. Once you have a Master Account, log in to the Net7 Portal (this site).
    4. From the accounts menu, click the 'Add Game Account' button, and fill in the details.
    5. You now have a Game account ! YEY !
    6. Now navigate to the 'Main' Menu and select 'Downloads'.
    7. You will only need to download 'Earth & Beyond Client' and 'Net-7 Unified Installer'
    8. Once downloaded, run the 'Earth & Beyond Client' install first, and wait for it to complete. (Please delete the shortcut from your desktop as you do not need to run this.
    9. Now install the 'Net-7 Unified Installer'. You will be asked a few questions during the install.
    10. Next, navigate to your 'Start' menu and locate the Earth and Beyond shortcut Folder.
    11. Once there, run the 'Earth & Beyond Configuration' shortcut, and select your desired settings. Make sure you run as 'Administrator' (Rightclick the shortcut and select 'Run as Admin') and also hit the 'Performance Test'.
    12. Now run the 'LaunchNet7' shortcut on your desktop. This is the main launcher for the game.
    13. On first run, the launcher will update a few times, to make sure you have the latest release.
    14. Once the updates are complete, press the "Play" button on the launcher.
    15. The first time you press 'PLAY' you may be presented with a certificate install screen. Just press OK.
    16. The game will now launch.
    17. Once at the log in screen, (Say Hi to Megan), enter your 'GAME' account information (Step 4).
    18. Create your Character and enjoy the game !
    I've just finished setting it up myself and the game is currently running the updater. So not long before I get to play the game again.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never heard of it, looks good though. Perhaps it's because I'm never playing MMOs. I might try this one out, I still lile space sims, and there's so many at the moment. There was one I started the beta, because I got the key when I was at the Gamescom 3 or 4 years ago, was quite good, but I cannot even remember the name of it??

I also would like to play Phantasy Star V2, let me know if you find something.

A friend of mine is still playing EVE Online, did you try that one? Is it any good? At the moment he also plays Mechwarrior Online, although I'm a mech fan, the game looks quite tedious.

- - - Updated - - -

Downloading the Earth & Beyond client atm...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did play EVE when it first came out for a few months, however it is very heavy going, requiring a lot of grinding to build up enough money to get very far, and you have to be playing the game at least a couple of hours every day or you fall far behind.

It is a great game, but for those without much else in their lives.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Game is installed, created a character, and went to see Tovar Maxe. Then I bought some ammo, and left the base. But now, I don't know what to do, where are my objectives? Is there a tab, or button for objectives? I thought I was supposed to play a tutorial, but I don't know where?

Looks ok, graphics are clearly a bit dated, but at least it runs smoothly.