Uploads
    Who wants to play this on a tiny PC screen anyway, 108" is the way to go

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Heck retail copies are cheaper than the full price on Steam!
    They are? Not that I bought many games at the day of release, but for example Mortal Kombat Komplete and Call of Juarez Gunslinger digital were cheaper here or around the same prize.
    Well the most expensive AAA titles go for €50 on Steam. In retail here they go for 399kr, which is also just about €50. However the cheaper places like coolshop.com sell them for 350kr, which is significantly less than Steam. And they're shipping a physical product to you, not just giving you a digital copy. No, the regular price on Steam generally isn't favorable, but there's no beating them on sales. So I tend to wishlist games I want on Steam and wait for a sale. I have a long backlog of games in my library to play anyway. If there's something I want right away I usually end up with the physical copy, which is then activated on Steam anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    @Teho. Indeed. Pretty much all games, even retail copies require some form of online service. If it isn't Steam, then its Origin or UPlay. Both horrible compared to Steam.

And indeed, PC users have been using Steam for years to buy and run their games, and they haven't complained about not being able to transfer the keys to others. I read a quote yesterday that it is now estimated that over 70% of all PC game sales are now through Steam! Definitely seems to have become the standard gaming platform for the PC, which is probably the reason for them creating the upcoming SteamOS and the SteamBox.

I think the big different is that many PC games tend to buy and keep their games, whereas console games have a fast turnover with gamers wanting to get rid of them as soon as they are completed. Although if you by from PSN you can't transfer them can you? I forget.
    Nope, can't transfer PSN games either. But on PSN you have cross-buy for many titles now, which means you buy a game once and get poth the PS3 and the Vita version. And with PS+ you get synced gamesaves so can jump between systems and continue the same game. The other consoles don't have anything like that (yet).

But yeah, you can't trade keys on Steam and nobody's complaining. But that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the physical copies. Even they contain just a Steam installer and a Steam activation key now. Meaning once you've used it even your physical copy is untradeable. Haven't seen anyone complain about that either, but the gaming world went into an uproar when Microsoft wanted to do the same thing. But it's as you say, most console players do trade away their games while PC gamers do not. Generally. And there was much more that was wrong with the initial plans for the Xbox One than just that, glad it got shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner
    Who wants to play this on a tiny PC screen anyway, 108" is the way to go
    I for one have my PC hooked up to my 55" LED TV. Still some way to go to your 108", but still pretty good. Haven't used a PC monitor for many years now.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Torrid as always, I like that...
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Torrid as always, I like that...

@ Harrison

It's much better than it use to be, but Steam is still Laggy poo for me.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Kinny: Laggy, as in the client interface? Game downloads? In-game multiplayer?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No issue at all for me these days. The only thing I don't do is having it running at boot-up because it does pause Windows finishing loading the desktop whilst it is checking for game updates. Instead I manually launch it when I want to check for offers or play something.

When Steam was first launched though it was a completely different beast. Computers were much slower then though and had a lot less ram so that didn't help. I remember the first time I installed it and had to wait an age for it to update the client before it would even load up fully. And that was just to play Half-Life 2 i 2004. I remember uninstalling it once I'd finished HL2, and not touching it again other then for HL2 until the Orange Box when they made big improvements to it. And it's been pretty stable and usable since then for me.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, no problems for me either, and I'm using the beta version.

I didn't have the opportunity to test it way back when HL2 came out, but I remember the rage in all magazines how pissed off people were when they wanted to download the damn game and it went like 1b/s

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot the download speeds. I think because it was so new Valve completely underestimated the demain it would generate, and so when HL2 launched and required Steam to validate (although you could AFAIK install it from the discs offline first) it was saturated with people accessing the service to activate or download/update and it was constantly busy so no one could validate and run the game.

Although I think most online services have had some bad teething issues.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, Witcher 2 had problems on release day for a few hours, Diablo 3 for a day or two, but the worst one was EA with their SimCity servers, it took weeks for them to notice that servers can't handle so many players.

GTA5 has it's problems too, right now only with their social network, people can't upload their pics or use online apps, no biggie, but when the multiplayer addon comes out they might be in bigger trouble...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
    @Kinny: Laggy, as in the client interface? Game downloads? In-game multiplayer?
    Hiya Shoons.

Yeah matey, completely Laggy on the client interface, even with a 4.5Ghz Ivybridge CPU & 30GB/Sec memory bandwidth on 8GB Ram. You can't even cancel a game from loading, despite having a cancel button available whilst the game is loading. You have to let the game finish loading & then quit the game. Wtf is the point of having a cancel button when it doesn't work?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.