Thread: Ultima series

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Ultima series

Hi,
    Harrison post about divinity series and i remember about Ultima.

I am playing Ultima VII, and i a enjoying a lot. Very good game, impressive how an old game is so actual.
    The game is very big, a lot of quests, story, everything is nice. And the visual, that old-school graphics are great.

Ultima VII is great, and i played Ultima VIII a long time ago. Looks like VIII and IX are not that good, being the IV and VII the best ones.

Did you played any Ultima game?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always wanted to actually play one Ultima game, and I always thought that VII and VIII look the nicest, and I wanted at some point start with Pagan, so I really might give it a try. Do you play it on the PC?

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes i am playing in PC, i bought it in GOG.com. Ultima VII + expansion + Ultima VII part2
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/ultima_7_complete

5,99 Dolars.
    the pack is ready to play with dosbox. The dosbox is included inside, so it's just an *.exe that gives all you need.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ultima VII is the best game in the whole series. I played it back when it first came out, and also own the GOG.com version because of their work making the game run effortlessly on current Windows OSs. Definitely worth playing. I still love the oblique angle isometric graphics.

A fan project, called Exult, recreates the whole Ultima VII engine, allowing the game to run on modern machines across multiple platforms. They still had a bit of work to do on it last time I tried it out, but the developers were also fixing the original bugs left in the game's release due to the original publishers rushing it to release. So worth looking at.

The first 5 games in the series were very similar and extremely old-school. Really only worth playing those for historical purposes to see where the series began. VI was the first to introduce the above isometric style and is the first truly worth playing. However it is worth looking at the Fan remakes of these. I tried out the Dungeon Siege engine remake, called U6 Project, some time ago and it is really good. http://u6project.com/

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I still love the oblique angle isometric graphics.
    Same here, I really love that style, would like some modern games still using this type of graphics.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Demon, Divine Diviny is very similar to Ultima VII. Same type of rpg, same isometric view, (a bit more angle), the game is excellent.
    If you didn't tried it yet, you should, for me it's the best rpg with isometric view. Well U-Vii can be better, time shall tell.

This version of Ultima VII is from Exult, runs fine, no problems, i just think is a bit to fast in speed, the avatar runs a lot LOL... but i guess you can change speed in dosbox settings. But dosbox in part of the exe, wounder if i can change that.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just imagine you would play Ultima 7 on the Wii-U, so I guess you would call it Wii-U U-Vii

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you say that out loud it sounds like a star wars droid designation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello guys

A while back when I was in a big 'buying classic games' mood I bought several of the later Ultima games.
    I first started with the Worlds of Ultima series such as Savage Empire and Martians dreams but later on I also bought Ultima 6 (with cloth map and moonstone) and Ultima 7 (the edition with Serpent Island and the two expansions) as I understood from various people that those were the best games of the series.

I have not been able to play the games yet and from what I understand they can be quite hard for someone who hasn't got a clue how the campaign runs and don't have features yet such as a log that records all your active quests.

I am also really disappointed to read that Serpent Island was never completely finished as planned (saving your possessed companions and restoring destroyed cities and their people to their former shape) because of time restriction imposed by an even draconian Electronic Arts.
    Rather a shame how EA dismantled Origin Systems but I digress.

I still really like the pixel art that went into these games.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the Exult project's goals was to fix all of the bugs and complete Ultima 7's story properly.

Regarding mapping and logging quests. This is old school Mate. Square paper and pen at the ready. It's how any self respecting rpg fan used to play. I remember mapping the whole of Dungeon Master and the first 2 Eye of the beholder games.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD