Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Will get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P5110 WIFI Tablet for "free"

I use a simcard in a dongle to have access on my laptop from wherever I am, mainly at work, as at a lot of sites the access is denied, so I use my laptop for accessing f.ex. gaming or emulation sites. I got a letter today from my provider that my subscription is running out this month, I pay 18.90€.

So until the 5th of July they have a special offer, if you extend your subscription for the next 24 months, with the price of 24.90€, you will get mentioned tablet for free.

Well that came quite in handy, as I wanted to extend my subscription anyway, and now I even get a tablet for free, great. Ok the subscription is 6€ more expensive per month, but that's not a lot.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. Is that the 10" Samsung Tab? My wife has the 7" Galaxy Tab 2 and it's a very nice and robust tablet. I'm not personally a fan of their TouchWiz interface though... much prefer the vanilla Android.

BTW, your internet access you are talking about.. Is that a 3G dongle with a data only sim in it? If so, what sort of data bandwidth do you get with that each month? Most in the UK are capped to quite low levels, which most available from 512MB to 2GB monthly bandwidth allowance. One provider THREE do offer an "all you can eat" unlimited monthly plan, but it is more expensive than others.

A friend did lend me one he had when I was moving house the 2 times last year, and that worked really well. It was with T-Mobile and was pay as you go. You could top up daily or weekly and it was reasonably fast for surfing and email, but I wouldn't want to do much more on it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that a 3G dongle with a data only sim in it?
    Exactly that. It's kinda slow, but for surfing the internet it's quite ok. I have a 7GB download limit per month, but anyway you're not downloading movies or such with 3G, it's way to slow. The girl on the phone told me today that the highest I got so far in the last years was 1.5GB, so the 7GB is fine for me.

It's the P5110, so it's the 10" tablet, costs 260€ in the shops.

Never heard of the TouchWiz interface, I thought it was only a normal Android tablet.

Can you "jailbreak" that, or can you just use any downloaded games and apps?

I will only use the tablet in a WiFi environment at home or in hotels, like I do at the moment with my iPad. But it's good to have a second one, my girlfriend is quite iPad addicted

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    TouchWiz is Samsung's front-end for android. Many developers do this. It sits on top of the main OS and adds its own look and feel, alters how some things work and adds or alters features such as their own keyboards and camera apps.

HTC and Sony among others also have their own ui front-ends. Out of them all I like Sony's the most as they don't alter the original Android os too much and instead mainly alter how the icons and interface looks.

But since Android 4.1 I've preferred the default "vanilla" Android, as found on Google's own nexus devices.

As for hacking. You can root the Samsung. That would then allow you to install different versions of android, different os kernels that are often developed to give things like better battery life or screen brightness settings.

As for actual software, you can install most apps manually without the need to root devices these days. If you can find an apk installer for the game or app then you can normally install it. The only issue would be apps that call home to verify themselves, or to download additional data to install. Often you can find patched versions of the apks to get around this though.

For android games one cool thing to keep an eye on is the Humble bundle charity site as they often have Android collections, and a really good download app.

For emulators, there are a fair few on the Google play store, some are paid for, but some are worth buying, such as the PlayStation emulator as they are the best. Many others can't be found in the main play store any more, but can easily be found on torrent sites, or other sites and manually installed via an apk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm gonna read some reviews now and check the specs of the P5110, I don't know how it compares to the iPad 2. Differences between screen, GPU and CPU f.ex.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can't really compare iPad and Android devices directly due to being different OSs and hardware design. As long as an Android device as 1GB ram and at least a dual core CPU it's fine for most tasks. For the newest 4.2 then a quad core CPU and 2GB ram are recommended, but works fine with 1GB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I use a simcard in a dongle to have access on my laptop from wherever I am, mainly at work, as at a lot of sites the access is denied, so I use my laptop for accessing f.ex. gaming or emulation sites. I got a letter today from my provider that my subscription is running out this month, I pay 18.90€.

So until the 5th of July they have a special offer, if you extend your subscription for the next 24 months, with the price of 24.90€, you will get mentioned tablet for free.

Well that came quite in handy, as I wanted to extend my subscription anyway, and now I even get a tablet for free, great. Ok the subscription is 6€ more expensive per month, but that's not a lot.
    #

If it's costing you 6 Euro a month more, I guess you're paying 144 Euros over the 24 months which is around about half price of RRP. - Pretty good deal fella.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wondering if you have tried this method? I don't personally use data sims or 3G dongles. Instead I tether any tablets/mobile devices to my smartphone by enabling tethering on the phone. Works perfectly for my Nexus 7. Devices see the phone is a wifi hotspot.

My mobile is on a THREE pay as you go sim. For £5 I can add an "all you can eat" internet data add-on to the phone for one month, giving me a 2GB data allowance for the month. Or if I top up the phone credit by £15 I get it includes for that month. Normally however I just top-up £10 when needed, then use £5 of that top-up for the data add-on when needed. Works really well.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have "flatrate" on my smartphone, as I'm only using it for sms or calls, I never use it for internet. I usually have under 10€ for the mobile phone bill, flatrates here in Luxembourg are 50€, so not worth the money. Plus I have a HTC Wildfire S phone, because I like them small, has to fit in my pocket without annoying me, that's why I also don't own one of the "bigger" phones, didn't you wonder how comes

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I assume flat rate is a monthly fixed rate contract over a set term of 12 to 24 months? We call them contract mobiles and they can cost from £15 a month for a basic phone, up to £45 for a state of the art phone just released. Often with the newer models you also have to pay an additional one off payment towards the phone, sometimes hundreds of pounds extra.

The other method in the UK is called pay as you go, where you get a free sim card and can put it into any mobile and top it up with credit as and when you need to use it. This is what I have. I normally top up by £10 every 45 days, which gives me the £10 credit for calls, plus free texts and some internet. I hardly ever use my mobile for actual calls so it works well for me.