Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

[3DS] - Gateway 3DS

Apparently there's a dongle now out for the 3DS called Gateway 3DS, as the 3DS has been hacked.

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/gateway-3ds.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=uW3LxuDvHeI )

Don't have one yet, was never interested. Bought a DSi for my girlfriend 2 years ago, using a DS TWO dongle, which works pretty well, but she used it twice during that time, like me too. Perhaps I could sell it, and get a 3DS instead. I tested the DS TWO dongle on a 3DS, and that also works just fine.

EDIT:
    I just now bought a 3DS, a white one, looks really cool, and it was only 150€ on Amazon (brand new). I know that there's a guy here at work who desperately wants a DSi with all the games, and as my DSi is almost new, and I own the whole set of almost 7.000 games, and plus he's a super moron, I'm gonna sell him the DSi with the games for the same price.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 10th June 2013 at 18:22.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing. With all flash carts they will work on the 3DS with DS games, but not 3DS specific games... unless something has changed recently to allow it.

The gateway 3ds is interesting if it does remove that limitation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gateway does apparently play 3DS games but hasn't managed to get over the region lock so if you have an EU 3DS you can only play EU ROMs etc. The other thing that people are not sure of yet is it's ability to have more than one ROM on the SD card which means you could have lots of small cards to loose.

As a side note SNES and GBA emulation has recently been improved on the SCDS2 and they now run at very good speeds.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not actually used my DS in a long time now that Android gaming and emulation is so good. Is there really a need for dedicated handhelds any more?

Still, it is fascinating when hackers achieve things on any device. Normally gets me using them again.

Last edited by Harrison; 11th June 2013 at 21:22.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Still, it is fascinating when hackers achieve things on any device. Normally gets me using them again.
    Exactly

Don't know about region lock, here's what it says:

The Gateway 3DS is currently designed to work with up to 5.1.0-11 firmware. The letter at the end is just the region (u, e, a, j, etc).
    - - - Updated - - -

Seems you were right, here's what I found:

The Striking Features

- Supports all 3DS ROMs to date
    - Works on 3DS & 3DS XL consoles
    - Free Region Locked

Gateway 3DSFlashcart FAQ

Q1 : Is it one microSD per game?

A : Currently yes.

Q2 : Must the microSD card size match the game size?

A : No, so long as the microSD card is larger than the rom size.

Q3 : Can it play games from other regions?

A : Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.

Q4 : Can it play Homebrew?

A : No.

Q5 : Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?

A : We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.

Q6 :- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?

A : Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)

Q7 : How big are the games and what is the minimum size for the microSD card?

A : Some range from 256MB to 4GB

Q8 : Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?

A : Yes, but we advise not to use online features

Q9 : Do the game keep internet capacity?

A : Yes, but we advise not to use online features

Q10 : Is it upgradable?

A : Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.

Q11 : Can it run normal DS roms?

A : No, there are many alternative options for this.

Q12 : Suggested Retail price?

A : About $80/€65

Q13 : When will this product available ?

A : Availability: End of June. BUT until production has started, we are not accepting any pre-payment, therefore end-users should NOT pay until we indicate on our site that pre orders are officially open and payments from resellers are being accepted. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-PAY UNTILL WE SAY SO ! and you can buy gateway 3ds from here : buy gateway 3ds

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's worth waiting before buying this. It's current status seems very beta like, and more a proof of concept than a fully developed product.

Now they have proved it is possible to run 3ds games from a Rom cartridge/memory card, it needs to offer fuller support, such as multiple games, game save management.

They should look at the developer of the Everdrive cartridges to see how to really do this properly. I can only imagine what he could create for more recent hardware. Maybe in a few years time when the 3ds is no longer current he might make an Everdrive for it.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess the next 6 months will show what will happen, anyway, not planning to buy the Gateway, like you said, it's still too early, and it's way too pricy for what it can actually do at the moment. Updates would be welcome.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gateway 3DS has been blocked by the latest 3DS firmware update. They are trying to fix the problem but it may take time.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was bound to happen. Manufacturers are getting faster at patching their firmware these days. Although Nintendo couldn't combat it with the Wii. Look at how quickly Sony got with the PS3 and PSP too. Although where the PSP was concerned new CFW was released less than a day after any OFW came out.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Although where the PSP was concerned new CFW was released less than a day after any OFW came out.
    It's happening quite similar with the PS3 nowadays, shortly after 4.41 was released, you got a 4.41 CFW from f.ex. Rogero.