Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Silly car insurance quotes

I received my car insurance renewal the other day. I've been with the same company, Admiral, for years and the renewal is normally much lower than anywhere else. However, this year they quoted £758!!!.

Yes, I had recently had an accident where my car was written off, but it was a no fault claim that was fully recovered from the third party and concluded in my favour (not be my fault).

I had a look around and have managed to get new insurance from AXA for just £295 protected fully comprehensive. Just shows you.

Anyone else had any silly insurance quotes?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Every bloody year. Last year was the first time that I stayed with an insurance company because for once the price actually went down and that's with over 10 years ncd every other time it goes up by a minimum of £100 if I'd stay with the same company. One year I moved from More Than to More Than because it was cheaper to a have a new policy than to stay on the same policy even though all the details were the same albeit a year older.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had a quote, but I'd hate to think how much they would charge me...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How old are you now Steve?

Insurance companies really don't want to insure young new drivers these days, so they quote really silly numbers to try and put them off. Often the year's insurance will cost more than the value of someone's first car. Someone I used to work with passed their test aged 18. The bought an old Vauxhall Astra for about £400, and the insurance was £1400!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm 22 .

I probably have far too many health issues for anyone to want to insure me for anything for a reasonable cost.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Insurance does drop in price past 21, but it will still be high until you have at least 5 years No Claims Discount, and will fall the most once you reach 30. But new drivers will always be high. 17-18 year olds can expect to pay £2000+ these days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same every bloody year for me too. Even without any claims in the last 5 years, it's always a rip-off quote with the same Ins.Co.
    Only one Co. in the last 10 years managed two sensible consecutive years quotes, & that was Elephant.co.uk...... Their 3rd attempt at insuring me was asking another 75% on the previous year. You can imagine where they were told to go.

These days, it doesn't even pay to have everything with the same Company. I use to be Norwich Union (now Aviva) with buildings, contents, cars, bikes, the dog, hamster etc & then realised it was cheaper to shop around.

Maybe I was lucky with my first car in terms of insurance. Cost me £400, insurance was £175 tpf&t for a 1972 MKI Ford Capri 1600GT Crossflow. Fitted with a twin-choke Weber & pancake filter.
    & that was back in 1980 when I were a mere lad.... Fook!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.