Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Going to Italy again

Today I'm gonna fly again to Italy, this time to Amantea (in Calabria, southern Italy). Will stay there for 1 week, see you later guys

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I hope you have some nice weather.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope you have a great time.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back today, weather was fine, between 20-25 degrees and no rain, so that was totally ok for me. Basically the whole holiday consisted of having great food all the time Gonna let you know more next week.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can see that. I've heard there is a lot of tasty stuff down there, but never been there myself unfortunately. Perhaps some time in the future. How was the prices of food and drinks btw? Heard it is a bit expensive?
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prices are fine, at least for us coming from Luxembourg, don't know how much if changes from country to country. And it depends where you go in Italy.

I was in Amantea, in Calabria, south of Italy. Amantea is small (14.000 people), and it's absolutely not a touristic region. Food and drinks were VERY cheap compared to what we pay at home.

At home, one beer of 0.4l is 2€, which I think is still cheap, as in Finland f.ex. it's triple the price. In Italy it was 1€. There was a small and very nice restaurant on the beach where we ate 3 times, a bottle of calabrian regional wine there (0.7l) was 6€! And it was very good, name was Spadafora. In Luxembourg an average wine bottle in the restaurant costs around 25€.

Cheapest pizza (normal size, not a small one) was 3.50€, never saw that anywhere else. Expresso was 1€ and 1l bottle of water was also 1€. The food was amazing, I almost only ate seafood and fish, and we always had like 1/3 of the price what it would have been home, so we were quite happy about that.

And of course, they have the best Gelato!!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love Italian food. There is a huge difference between real Italian food and the rubbish most fast food places sell.

When we stayed in Sorrento the pizza and ice cream was amazing. And being the lemon region the lemonchello was great. But as with you I mostly ate sea food there. And for a special honeymoon meal we treated ourselves to an expensive restaurant and had red snapper in crazy water. That was really nice.

The prices where you were sound really cheap. Obviously Sorrento being more tourist based was more expensive, but still we didn't think it was really high, and probably about the same as we pay in the UK. Probably €20-30 for a meal for 2.

Btw, do you speak much Italian? Weren't your family originally from Italy?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Probably €20-30 for a meal for 2.
    You mean without wine, starter, dessert and no fish or steak? In Luxembourg you easily spend 80-100€ for a main course with a bottle of wine and an aperitif in a "normal" restaurant.

I don't speak Italian, I understand a lot when I'm reading it, and know some of the basic words. My grandfather was Italian, and he came from Talamello (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talamello), but as my grandfather was married to a Luxembourgian, he never spoke Italian at home, so my father already doesn't speak a lot. My uncle (father's brother) speaks Italian, but only because he goes there every year since over 40 years.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can get a decent meal for 2 with a drink, starter and main course for around £30 in the UK. Even less with coupon deals, which we often use. We don't often have desserts though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I can get a decent meal for 2 with a drink, starter and main course for around £30 in the UK. Even less with coupon deals, which we often use. We don't often have desserts though.
    Never! - I've spent £70 in Shitzza Hut for 2 adults & 4 kids. - Never again.

Recently, Deb & I went to the Pier House at Charlestown last week for her Birthday. Starter, main course & dessert with a bottle of Pino Grigio Rose £75.00 + £6 for two drinks @ the bar beforehand. The restaurant is A la Carte but £20 for a fillet steak is really taking the piss.

There are much more expensive places to dine here in Cornwall too.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.