Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Gamecube modding

Recently I decided to modchip my Gamecube. Getting the modchip was easy XenoGC is still available but the biggest problem was the case to fit normal sized DVD's. Gamecube replacement cases just aren't made anymore but I found this ebay shop still selling them and in large quantities very cheaply (apart from P&P to England but what the hay it's a Gamecube case with flashing LEDs what's not to love?).

Installation of the modchip is easy if a little fiddly but the soldering is straight forward. Adjusting the laser is the most difficult part for which you'll need a multimeter to reduce the OHMS from around 500 to 200.

Of course you could buy a WiiKey fusion which is an SD card device that replaces the original drive however I've yet to see any neat and tidy ways of doing it and all ways mean you cannot play original disks.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't see much point in modding my Gamecube because the Wii can play all GC games, and a soft modded one can run burned GC games. So that is perfect for me.

I do however still really like the gamecube. It was a very underrated console with some very nice games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me it's the age old argument of Emulator versus original hardware and whilst I also have a soft modded Wii It's still not quite the same as using the original hardware.

For example LOZ:OOT is best played on the N64. It's still a good game on the GC but not quite the same and on the Wii even less so. Stupid, but that's how my brain works.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Qoob Pro modchip in my GC, and it works like a charm. I'm using the smaller DVDs for my games, and that's just fine. Only problem would be in finding them nowadays. I still have some, and I remember that you also had to have specific ones, as most of them didn't work. Can't remember which brand it was, but basically the brand didn't matter so much, it was more the media code.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've been reading Sony and Phillips are the best Mini DVD-R's you can get but the price is getting silly now.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These days buying original second hand GCN games are cheap, other than a couple off specific games, ask not rely much need for backups.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked now, I've been using Memorex and Piodata discs. The media code was Ritek G04.

I found some here: http://www.meritline.com/ritek-mini-...--p-18396.aspx (10 for not even 5£)

They even have cheaper ones: http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridat...--p-18394.aspx (10 for 2.35£)

I think if you try these, you cannot go wrong.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to use Ritek G04 dye code DVD-Rs years ago. I didn't know it was still being made.

They are fairly reliable at burning, with hardly any coasters, although I did get around 5 failures out of every 100. But their lifespan isn't going to be brilliant because they use an organic dye that will breakdown and degrade due to light, so they are best kept in the dark. For a long time I've only used AZO metal dye based media because once written the dye sets in a much stronger structure, with a much more reflective properly similar to commercial pressed discs.

I used to buy mine from svp.co.uk, but unsure of they ever sold the mini DVD discs.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've tried Kodak that I had but then bought some cheap imation DVD-R's and they work perfectly. They even work with the POT set at 250 so I'm extra happy about that.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kodak used to make some brilliant blank media. Their gold CD-Rs used to be brilliant and would work on even the fussiest CD player/drive. They used to use actual gold within a metal based dye to give much better reflective properties, hence the reason they worked well in most drives. Sadly Kodak pulled out of the media manufacturing market years ago.

I'm surprised imation discs work so well as they are really cheap branded media. Do you know what the dye type is they use?