Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Supermodel - A Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator

Has anyone tried the emulator Supermodel yet?

I was looking into emulating Star Wars Arcade and knew that MAME still had lots of problems getting it to run, and came across this, which I've not tried yet.

http://www.supermodel3.com/

From the site:
    Supermodel emulates Sega's Model 3 arcade platform, allowing you to play a number of ground-breaking arcade classics on your PC. It uses OpenGL and the SDL library, and can run on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The source code is freely available under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Model 3 first made its debut in 1996 with Virtua Fighter 3 and Scud Race, and for the subsequent two years boasted the most powerful 3D hardware of any gaming platform. Developed by Real3D, then a Lockheed Martin company, and with a heritage rooted in advanced flight simulator technology, Model 3 featured capabilities that would not appear on PCs for several years. Using an on-board scene graph and geometry processor, it could store, transform, light, and rasterize tens of thousands of polygons per frame at a fluid 60 frames per second.

The aim of the Supermodel project is to develop an emulator that is both accurate and playable. As with virtually all arcade hardware, no public documentation for the Model 3 platform exists. What is known so far has been painstakingly reverse engineered from scratch. There is still plenty left to figure out and the emphasis at this early phase of development is toward accuracy rather than speed and usability.
    Looking at screenshots and some videos on youtube it seems to do a much better job than MAME with the supported titles, so I will set it up over the weekend and see how it performs.

Especially looking forward to trying out Star Wars Trilogy, plus Sega Rally 2, Le Mans 24, Daytona USA 2, Fighting Vipers 2 and Virtua Fighter 3.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny, I tried it out just some days ago. I was playing a bit of Virtua Striker, I had 4-5 (betas also) versions, most were running very slow, and one version was running way too fast, I didn't find an option to slow it down to normal speed.

Spikeout was running fine, was also playable, not a really good game though.

Harley Davidson & L.A. Riders was absolutely not playable.

Daytona was playable, yet there were several problems, controlling the car was way too sensible, had problems driving straight.

I didn't try Star Wars, so I can't tell you if it's playable, and I also cannot test it anymore for you, as I deleted everything. I had to make some space on my NAS, so I was going through my sets, and I deleted quite a bunch.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've watched some videos of Star Wars, including a long-play playing through the whole game using the emulator, and it seems to do a pretty good job, with the whole game being playable. There just seems to be a couple of menu graphic glitches, and some overlay glitches during gameplay where sometimes a ship would overlap the control panel, plus a few minor audio glitches, but nothing too major.

Will give it a try on Sunday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for a good emulator. I've tried a bunch. Do you guys recommend this one as any good?
    Last edited by nedder; 1st December 2023 at 21:12.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm afraid I've not tried it since.

I just checked the emulator's site and whilst the last updates posted on the site seem to end in 2013, if you look in the forums they have continued development. Current builds are downloadable from there with the last being May 2016.

Might be worth seeing if this emulator's code has been obtained and merged into MAME yet also.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk