Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally getting fibre broadband!!!

BT (British Telecom) have finally upgraded my local exchange and the street cabinets with fibre optics, and activated the ability to get Fibre Broadband in my area.

BT with Fibre Infinity Broadband is the main one to go for, but some other companies are also offering it by leasing it from BT Wholesale, including Sky, Talk Talk and Plusnet.

After looking at the details for each of the providers I've decided to go with BT Infinity 2. It offers the fastest bandwidth, which will be 76Mbit download and 19Mbit upload, and completely unlimited usage.

Just placed my order and managed to combine it with a phone package that will also save me money on phone line rental and call costs.

Annoyingly the first date they could offer me for the engineer call out to connect it up is 28th May, so nearly a month to wait... but at least it is on the way.

So, has your area been upgraded to receive fibre yet?

I was really surprised Chichester was so quickly. I looked at the roll-out schedule back in December and it had Chichester down for April-July to activate the exchange, but I was very sceptical. Gad I was proved wrong and I can't wait. Finally I will be able to watch Full HD streaming video without sudden hanging and buffering. And download much faster. I worked out that a 10GB game purchased via Steam currently takes my ADSL (5-6Mbit) connection about 4 hours to download. The same 10GB game should take about 18 minutes with Infinity. Now that is a really cool speed increase.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

We've been able to get fibre here for some time, but I haven't really got any need for it. Certainly not worth me paying any more for it. It wasn't that long since I got my telephone line upgraded to ADSL2+.

Harrison, how much is the fibre going to cost?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. See Sig 12 months ago. It's poo down here because of noise margin reductions which affect how it works. Very very dissapointing & my 50Mb as sig is now 40Mb with MORE than double ping times.....

Really hope you have a fab experience with it. It should be like lightning if BT didn't dick with noise margins.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have it already by now, as the works in my area should be finished by January this year. Sadly this winter was quite hard, and they couldn't work, and as they then also started in another area, the works in my area are only continuing in August. So I doubt that I will have fibre connection this year. At least the cable is already in the house, not that it would help, but already good to know.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's annoying DC. I thought you had fibre months ago.

@Kin. Fingers crossed it will be. I don't think that many people in my immediate area will be upgrading to it as it's a fairly rural village on the edge of Chichester, but the Fibre cabinet is right at the end of my road, so should be good. I was tempted to get Infinity Business, but the price difference for the same speed, and the contention and priority features shouldn't really be an issue here. But I can always upgrade later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They have just put the new infinity cabinets in my area a couple of weeks ago so shouldn't be much longer? I read online that you want your house to be within 500 meters of the cabinet or the speed can drop, my house is 360 paces (checked twice ) Also read that the more people in your area that sign up can reduce the speed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Harrison

Yeah, I'm considering moving to Business to see if it behaves better. Still banging it out with the Ombudsman atm.

@ DonA

It's about time. You've had a really cr4p time up there from what you've said in the past. That's brilliant news to hear for you fella. Nice one!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not even installed here in Aus....
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought some areas of Aus already had some forms of fibre broadband, but not FTTC. I remember reading they are planning a near complete rollout of FTTP in the next 9 years. A long time for some to wait though!

FTTP will be better in the end though once you have it because that is Fibre to the Premises, so you have a directly connection to the fibre connection from the router, allowing even faster 300Mbit+ speeds, and some placed with it such as Finland are already trialling 1Gbit broadband! Our fibre is FTTC, which means Fibre to the Cabinet. BT have been installing new cabinets next to their existing copper wire cabinets at the end of each street. These new cabinets root the fibre cables from the exchange, but the last bit from the new cabinets to each house utilises the existing copper wires. It allows such high speeds as 76Mbit though because it is a really short distance of only a few hundred meters at most from the fibre to the house, and is a much cheaper way to install and get faster broadband to most houses.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Infinity successfully installed today.

2724614756.png

I'm happy with that.

The engineer said it was one of the fastest connections he has seen in this area.. with some others he's connected only getting half that speed.

Time to do some downloading!