Uploads
    Nice. Well done Harrison

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been testing out some real world download/upload tests using Steam, Usenet and uTorrent as the benchmarks are never a true test of the real bandwidth you get, but I'm surprised to find it is pretty close.

I just downloaded a smallish game on Steam (one that has been in my Steam account for some time and not installed). The game was 583.5MB in size and took 1 minute 4 seconds to download at a speed of 9.1MB/s. Now that is impressive. The same download on my old ADSL would have taken over 16 minutes.

So for a 4.7GB game, which is fairly common on Steam these days, it would take just 8 minutes 49 seconds. And the old ADSL would have taken 2 hours and 11 minutes. Now that an amazing speed increase.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see bt have brought out a new hub 4, what one are you using ?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hub 4 at the moment. Compared to the older Hub 3 it adds dual band wi-fi, with airwave analysis (it constantly checks the wi-fi frequencies for wireless traffic and switches channels to improve reception). It's also been given 1 gigabit ethernet port, which I'm using to connect to a gigabit switch, and then to my systems.

I'm leaving the Hub 4 connected for at least 10 days, so the exchange can build a good profile and settle the line speed, then I am considering switching back to my Billion 7800n router. Mainly because the Hub 4 has very limited features, and the Billion has pretty much every feature you could think of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this the one you have?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPA...n+7800n+router I'm thinking of changing my bt hub 3 seem like it drops out a lot and needs a restart. I've just been reading the reviews on your billion and people are saying the same and noticed a big improvement changing to the billion! I take it that its suitable for infinity

Cheers

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes that is the one. Brilliant router. It has a ADSL+ modem, but also a cable wan port, so can be used for all broadband services, including Infinity.

When I purchased it last year I instantly got a big speed increase in my adsl broadband, and I've read the same for Infinity customers.

Just be prepared for how large it is, as the unit is huge, and isn't aesthetically pleasing. But it has 3 WiFi antennas and dual band, so has great wireless coverage and range. Quite expensive but worth it.
    The one thing I can say about the hub 4 is how nice it looks, with the glowing blue status light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feedback as its quite a bit of money just want to make sure what's the best route to go, hopefully I'll be getting the infinity soon. Looks don't bother me as it sits high up on top of a unit but if the hub4 preforms well or as good as the billion then maybe I should wait and just get that for free!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You will get the Hub 4 when you sign up for Infinity anyway, so it's worth giving it a try first, and if you are happy then no need to upgrade to another router.

I've read people had issues with the Hub 3 disconnecting or needing to be rebooted. I will post my findings about the Hub 4 once I've been running it a week. So far, since the install on Wednesday it has been stable and worked perfectly, and my bandwidth is still 74Mb/s down and 16Mb/s up. And the ping rate is still 7ms which is great for online gaming.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Infinity successfully installed today.

Attachment 923

I'm happy with that.

The engineer said it was one of the fastest connections he has seen in this area.. with some others he's connected only getting half that speed.

Time to do some downloading!
    Very nice indeed Dave. As a matter of interest, how far from the Fibre Cabinet is your house?

Also, don't be tempted to re-boot Fibre Router inside of 10 to 14 days. Stick to your idea on post #14. DLM will think you have a problem & decrease your speeds & could increase your ping times.

9.1Mb/Sec is great & that ping time is to die for.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    How far from the Fibre Cabinet is your house?
    The cabinet is just at the end of my road. The distance if following the road around would be about 280m, however if a more direct route it could be as short as 110m.