Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My first Megadrive (Genesis)

Anyone a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) fan?

I've never owned a Sega Megadrive, not really being interested in them at the time (due to owning an Amiga and SNES), but there are a few games that always interested me, and later owning a Dreamcast I got interested in a few of the games in the Sega series.

I've now got the change to buy an MD Everdrive, and I've just got hold of a UK PAL Megadrive which is multi-region and 50/60Hz switchable via the reset button. Already have the Megadrive, and just waiting for the Everdrive.

So what games should I try? What are your favourites? Any genre.

Is it true that the Megadrive had a lot more sports games than other systems at the time?

And what about the MegaCD and 32X? I'm interested in a few of the 32X games, especially to try out Star Wars, but I'm not so bothered about the MegaCD. I also think you can run 32X games on the Everdrive, so it would definitely be worth getting hold of one.

BTW, did you know that the only reason it was called Genesis instead of Megadrive in the USA was because Sega couldn't secure rights to the name. It was known as the Megadrive everywhere else.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lately I came again in "touch" with the Megadrive, as I installed the emulator on my JXD7300, along with a bunch of games. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of games for it. I also never owned one, at least I think

Always got confused with the naming, as I had 2 different sets, one for Megadrive, and one for Genesis. But one time I thought there was something fishy, then I cross checked the sets, and noticed that they're exactly the same, only the extension being .md for Megadrive, and .smd (or even .gen) for Genesis.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never owned one, but Sonic would be the first game.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've grabbed a couple of games from Amibay for hardly any money. Sonic 2, as I think you have to have one of these as an original with the MD, and Speedball 2, just because I was curious how it played compared to the Amiga original.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember playing on my Friends Megadrive with 32X and Star Wars was very impressive but if I remember rightly none of the other games were.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, Star Wars Arcade is meant to be one of the best for the 32x. Virtua Racing is also meant to be good. Both faithful recreations of the arcade originals. I've watched videos of both and they look impressive for the system. You can however emulate 32x games, and it seems to do a good job, but there is nothing like the original hardware

You can also get Doom and a few other games that are meant to be fairly good, but why play Doom on a console? I've never understood that. I suppose if you didn't have a pc at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Toejam and Earl was great, I spent a lot of time playing that with my childhood best friend, he had a mega drive that we'd play on for hours and hours.

Co-op mode only, obv.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update.

I didn't have much time to play around with the Megadrive and Everdrive I obtained last year, due to being a full time dad and the flooding and moving house issues. Anyway, now I finally had some time to sit down and play around with it and... I'm fairly underwhelmed and disappointed.

I remember back in the day Megadrive owners going on and on about how great their system was, with arguments between then and SNES owners. Looking on as an Amiga owner, and later SNES owner, I always wondered how good the system really was and what I had missed out on, hence finally getting hold of one. But I've tried quite a few games and nothing has really grabbed me. Yes Sonic is good but I actually played and completed that in the past and own the HD remake on the PC, so that was nothing new. Everything else seems a bit too boring, simplistic or not that good. Maybe I just haven't tried the best games yet.. I will have to find a Top 10 recommendations list and go through it.

I would definitely say the SNES was a lot better and I'm glad I purchased one of these back at the time. Nintendo first party games are still brilliant on the SNES, as are loads of third party games. I just don't see the Megadrive on par with that.

I do however still need to try out the Sega RPGs such as Phantasy Star so I still have some to look forward to.

Any other games to recommend?

I also still don't like the MD controller compared to the SNES one.