Thread: Ricky Gervais

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ricky Gervais

Does anyone here find Ricky Gervais funny?

Personally I don't and I cannot stand the guy.

The Office was mildly amusing for the fact that many of the office jokes were true to life for anyone who has ever worked in an office, but his character in The Office wasn't funny to me in the slightest.

And I have not found any of his work since leaving the series at all amusing. Extras was a completely boring endurance test to sit through a whole episode. And he cannot act to save his life. His role in "Night at the Museum" is proof of that.

Some even proclaim him as the funniest man to have ever lived! Have these people not watched comedy before? Monty Python, Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies... all great examples of true humour. Something Gervais seems to have missing from anything I've ever seen him do.

All I have ever managed to work out is that his "comedy" consists of his own self belittlement. Other than that I'm stumped to work out why so many people even consider him a comedian.

And his smile! That has to be the biggest thing I hate about him. It's not even a real smile, more a smirk that reflects his misconception of greatness.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who's that? A UK guy? Gervais is a french company that makes yoghurt products since 1872, and merged together with Danone in 1967

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive only ever seen the American version of the office, which many people didnt like, but I found it funny. So no idea who you are on about.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That just goes to prove one thing. How can he possible be the greatest comedian of all time if no one outside of the UK has even heard of him! I rest my case.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He has a weird name too...Gervais?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's quite funny but when the gag misses, it really is a stinker.

I liked it when he was on the 11 o'clock show and the whole gag was he would say something really deeply offensive and the host (Iain Lee) would act all pissed off and throw him out in disgrace.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But that is just him acting normally isn't it? I don't find him funny in the slightest as his "gags" are not amusing in a humorous sense, more a vulgar and humiliating way.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it could be his regular persona, although when I was watching it I felt that it was mostly an act, yes he probably is a bit of an asshole at times but the whole thing is really played up for the camera, like a caricature in a way I guess.

I can see why people like him a lot, and also why others don't. Personally I kinda like it but it's not that great and I don't really go out of my way to watch him. I've never seen an episode of Extras.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Must admit, I'm a fan.
    Morcambe and Wise?
    You must be joking.
    Monty Python are still the kings of comedy.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, yes. The Argument Clinic. The Spanish Inquisition. The Ministry of Silly Walks. The Fish-Slapping Dance. Pure gold all of them.