Would only ever take out fully comp insurance.

The insurance company (Admiral) have been pretty quick so far. Collected the car from the recovery yard the day after the accident and took it to a local garage. They had it till last Friday to assess it and then state it was written-off. Insurance company collected the car from them yesterday and took it to a salvage yard to be assessed by the loss-adjuster, and today the insurance delivered a free courtesy car I can keep until the claim is settled.

Only bad news is that it's another Ford Fiesta, so at the moment I have 2 of them... identical other than the one I hired is a 12 plate and the new one is a 62 plate. Looks like I'm collecting them. Will see if I can return the other one in the morning for a slight early return refund. Small interdependent company so they might.

Still not 100% sure what car I want to buy now. I liked the 407 and it is tempting to get another one, but I can't find many of the same top spec (executive/GT) 2.0 HDi. Others I'm considering are an Audi A6 Avent (estate) and a Merc C220 CDI Estate. There are a few of those about around the 2005-2006 age for reasonable money, full service histories and 1 year warranties.