Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does it work well? I mean with new and old games.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, from 8 only 2 didn't work, but a friend of mine was able to run those 2, so it should be some problem with my setup...
    Dead Space 3, the cave, assassins creed 3 as examples that work fine external HD and internal... i will try Crysis 3 today
    A500 - A600 - A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also downloaded these games recently, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, DmC, Metal Gear Rising, but mainly Ni No Kuni.

Some people said that the older 3.55 patched games would work fine with 4.30 installed, but on the other hand some people said that you had to copy the original eboot files over the patched ones, otherwise they wouldn't run. Did you do or try that?

Also how did you install your 4.30? I'm still on 3.55, I planned to just go to recovery mode, and update to 4.30. Some mentioned that they had to toggle QA flags, and then using the XMB update option to update to 4.30, I always found the the recovery method was the easiest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks rather special in someways, though I still have my own reservations about the "Sony" thing. That thing is the element of a sublime take-over, something which Sony have tried to do for years in so many ways. BluRay was the last one we had forced on us, along with removal of the Emotion Chip on later PS3 models. That reduced backward compatibly instantly, so I wonder what will happen this time round, especially with the PS4 boasting a whole new developer angle between hardware & software development? - Backward compatibility could be a sod for this.

Then I look @ the hardware they've chosen for this & hang my head in shame. AMD for a cheap job, and less memory bandwidth than a Single GTX670.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With consoles it is a balancing act between performance parts and cost. Previously Sony has gone for the custom CPU direction, trying to develop something cutting edge and using new ideas. The problem for the PS2 and PS3 was how complex this made the platform to develop for. Sony's new approach at creating a much simpler hardware design that developers already know is a really good direction to go IMO.

Regarding the removal of the Emotion Engine from the PS3. It was purely cost of manufacture as Sony were losing way too much per unit and had to reduce costs.

To a PC gamer the parts selected look like a very middle of the road gaming rig of today, but that is for a PC. For a console, the hardware doesn't have the overheads of a huge resource hungry OS, and the GPU isn't tied into the APIs of the OS, restricting its full potential. I think the PS4 is going to be the first time a fixed platform has been produced, using PC components, without these constrains, and this should show us what the components are really capable of. And in turn make PC gamers a little miffed because those owning much more powerful components will see that their real potential could be so much more than is allowed due to the PC architecture and OS.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure Dave, but they have really limited the PS4 with an AMD cpu and beside that, Custom chip-sets always worked better imo.

Wasn't the PS2 & 3 based on Risc?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Playstation 4 announcement event

Yes they were risc based, but that was part of the issue with the PS3, compared to the tri-core CPU in the 360 that was more like a pc and allowed easy porting.

AMD CPUs are definitely weaker at the moment compared to anything in the Intel i range, that is true, but AMD chips are so much cheaper, and to have an 8 core CPU would have been easy too expensive from Intel. AMD do however have the much better integrated GPUs at the moment, and the custom chip for the PS4 is going to have the GPU on the same die as the CPU. This will greatly reduce costs in manufacturing.
    Last edited by Harrison; 24th February 2013 at 20:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Dave, hear ya too, but it's the future we have to look at. I'm sure if Sony had chosen Intel, it would have been future proof for some time to come.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But, this is a custom CPU (APU?) design specifically for the PS4, so we won't know for certain yet how good it will be. We don't know the speed of the cores or anything else specific yet.

I think the DDR5 ram is also on the same chip, making a huge difference. And whilst DDR5 ram has higher latency, it has much large bandwidth to easily offset it. Plus it's 8GB, whereas the PS3, and even more so for the 360, suffered from a lack of ram.

Lets wait and see what Microsoft have in store for their 720. Some rumours are also mentioning AMD for that too, so you could be out in the cold Kin. Intel might have priced themselves out of the console market for the next gen.

What is the Wii U using? An IBM Tri-core PowerPC CPU and an AMD Radeon GPU.

hmm...

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I also downloaded these games recently, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, DmC, Metal Gear Rising, but mainly Ni No Kuni.

Some people said that the older 3.55 patched games would work fine with 4.30 installed, but on the other hand some people said that you had to copy the original eboot files over the patched ones, otherwise they wouldn't run. Did you do or try that?

Also how did you install your 4.30? I'm still on 3.55, I planned to just go to recovery mode, and update to 4.30. Some mentioned that they had to toggle QA flags, and then using the XMB update option to update to 4.30, I always found the the recovery method was the easiest.
    You have to download the files, then put it on the USB pen, do the power off with your finger down till it goes off, then on with finger pressed till go on and off, and finally on again.... then he will boot and go to the PEN in USB to update the system... very easy.
    Games so far, didn't need anything, just run and play. But looks like some of them don't work, crysis 3 is one of them, dont now if i need some patch or not, didn't had the time for more tests.
    A500 - A600 - A1200