Downloads
    Uploads

Aliens - COLON-ial Marines

Being a fan of 3D Shooters & having enjoyed previous versions of this genre, I was squealing with delight waiting for the installation process to complete, until....

I get a prompt for Bill Gates wanting to install NET Framework 4 Extended (wtf??) and reluctantly gave in as I so badly wanted to play this game having waited so long for the sequel to Aliens vs Predator. After this had installed, I got a shutdown prompt, confused as to why I didn't have the option to re-boot or even do it later. Selecting Shutdown put it into a re-boot sequence & once at the desktop, I got a Disclaimer screen open up RE AMD systems?? (A really MASSIVE wtf??)

Bearing in mind my rig is a 3770K @ 4.9Ghz on IvyBridge chipset with Dual GTX 670's in SLI, I instantly felt aggrieved that some sh*t coding wasn't intelligent enough in this day & age to realise there wasn't a single element of AMD in my system at all. So I declined the Disclaimer with two simple words in mind whilst I did it; "F.U." - Unfortunately with this bitter taste in my mind, it kinda set the stench that follwed...

After getting into the game for 5 minutes, I then realised how console-esque it was and so 12+ like. Alt-Tab to desktop, Shut it down with task manager & un-installed immediately.The thread title is a rather a fitting name for this release of cr4p. Never seen such a deeply anal relese of this game ever. Disgusting
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's really disappointing to read. I've also been looking forward to this game as I've enjoyed the previous AvP games on the PC. I haven't actually purchased this new one yet though, so think I will wait and maybe grab it when its really cheap in a sale.

The problem these days is so many developers are making their games for the 360 and doing lazy ports to the PC. PCs are so much more powerful than the current generation of consoles are now so we are being held back in terms of quality, graphics, content possible within a game area, and gameplay due to fudged controls (having been designed originally for a 360 controller and bodged up to work with a keyboard and mouse).

Developers keep making the excuse that the PC game market is shrinking and the real money is with the consoles, but this really isn't true any more as the PC gaming market is really seeing a good comeback in the last couple of years. So many console games keep saying to be that there are no new decent PC exclusives and they are all the same games as the consoles, but looking at releases over the past year alone there are a lot of PC only games, plus a ton of cross platform releases that end up being so much better on the PC.

When will developers realise this?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The game got horrible reviews almost everywhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Dave, really bad m8. There is not a single console on the market that comes anywhere near close to the capabilities of my Rig & I'm not boasting the elitist you can currently buy. Perhaps the biggest insult is seeing a system like mine being locked down to 60Hz refresh. That means a poor 60FPS with VSYNC enabled on my 120Hz capable flat panel. The game is shocking in every manner & don't really want to list more criticisms for the sake of winding oneself up. Just really glad I had a preview of this without coughing up hard cash. I would have had more pleasure from seeing the money burn than the coders get a penny of it.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let them feel your anger by downloading it illegally next time

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not just the PC version of this game that has issues. This game is just hands down terrible. It's been all over the gaming news sites since its release and has turned out to be quite the scandal for Gearbox Entertainment. They in turn are pointing fingers at another developer who was contracted to make the single player campaign mode. They claim that when they saw what was being made, they took back control of the project and tried to fix what they could in the few months that remained of the development schedule. But still the game was released with major issues like gamebreaking bugs and terrible AI and there's no excusing that. Like Demon said, it got butchered by just about every site out there. The only one who gave it a 9/10 was Edge. On who's site the publisher of the game had hired every inch of advertisement space available for this title. Strange coincidence, that.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to respect Edge's reviews and the whole content of their publication. They were never afraid to say a game was crap and give it 4/10, even if it was being hyped at the time as the best game ever by the press. But in the last couple of years this has been changing and games definitely seem to get better reviews than they deserve, and other games being reviewed, that are really good, get bad scores.

I've subscribed to it for many years, but seriously thinking of not renewing this year.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Let them feel your anger by downloading it illegally next time
    I did. *cough* I torrented the f'ker & un-installed it after only 5 minutes of gameplay.

@ Teho

Interesting comments there bud, but Edge can smb's in every instance. I expect they got a backhander for rating it so high.

Don't take me wrong here, I'll support the gaming industry in every manner if the game is good. I want multiplayer options which hacked games don't ever give. However, if BT wern't dicking my internet access by taking away the real capabilities of my pair of wires I rent from them, I would have an awful lot more games than I currently do. BF3 is awesome, but am I gong to pay £70 for a game with extras that gives me about 10% of online stats that I could get? - No way as long as I have a hole in my Ass!

@ BT

Give me all the Downstream & Upstream Noise Margin my pair of rented wires can give me. These noise margins are not something you can lock down @ 6db & expect Modem, ISDN, ADSL or VDSL services to perform in the manner they should. My gaming stats for this abomination leave me with Fibre offering 40Mb down now & a worse Kill/Death ratio than ADSL by a factor of 10 & worse. On Deathmatch servers, I spend more time dying than I do killing, even with a 4.9Ghz Ivybridge rig running Dual GTX670's.

It's pathetic beyond pathetic to the point, Ofcom are now involved.

....cl_rant off....
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 20th February 2013 at 00:34.

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finished it in coop mode with a buddy, it was fun while it lasted, ain't going back there.
    Not much to do with Aliens, I mean it's got some cool locations and stuff but it's a Call of Duty game in space borrowing from the Aliens movie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Shoons

Back in the days of the Original release, a good friend of mine just hated playing it because of the "scare" factor. He would sit behind me watching me play while he squealed like a baby. Dunno if the shivers I had was the constant beeping on the scanner or Jon's squealing.
    Either way, that really was a brilliant game for "scare" factor.