C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

[PS3] - Team Cobra's ODE

This could again be something interesting, mostly for people using original firmware. Team Cobra will release their ODE (Optical Disc Drive Emulator), which let's you run PS3 games in .iso format, and you don't need a CFW for running them, just the latest OFW. Although you would need their dongle. Read on:

If you've been rather excited at the fact that Team Cobra is going to push out their own Optical Disc Drive Emulator to compete with the 3key, here's some news for you. The team has made the website for the ODE public today and have dropped extensive details regarding their upcoming product. Here's the feature list that they have posted up:

Cobra ODE website is launched! Cobra brought ground breaking features and unparalleled support to the PS3 with its Cobra USB dongle. Now we're back with the Cobra Optical Drive Emulator for PS3. Run game ISO's from any PS3* without the need to restrict your console to running on a CFW. This brings freedom of choice for the SEN, original games and functionality of the Cobra ODE without hassle or complication. A switch allows user to toggle between use of the original BD drive or the emulator.

- Compatible with all PS3 models including phat/slim and super slim (SATA/PATA), on exploitable consoles. Work is in progress for key extraction on non exploitable consoles.
    - Emulation support for PS3 ISO's (PSX and PS2 supported on BC consoles)
    - Works with any current Sony OFW and third party CFW's
    - Active emulation mode or pass through mode
    - High speed ARM MCU onboard
    - Two high speed FPGA's on board powering emulation engine
    - 256 Mbytes SDRAM onboard
    - Supports USB hard drives
    - Supports external UI commander (included)
    - All FPGA logic and MCU's onboard are fully upgradable ensuring maximum flexibility in the future, via in built update mechanism
    - Direct dumping of games from disc to ISO format on HDD (will be supported in future firmware update)

The team mentions that the first batch of shipments will begin in February. It is unclear which consoles are "non exploitable" as the package list states that the Cobra ODE main board supports the Phat, 20xx, 21xx, 25xx, 3xxx and 4xxx consoles. Hopefully, more information becomes available as the ship date nears.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If this really allows a standard OFW PS3 to run game ISOs from an external HDD then I'm very interested. Look forward to finding out more.

Do you have links to an official site or where they will be posted updates?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm always going to http://www.dashhacks.com/ps3.html for any kinds of PS3 hack info.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some great news about this:

The Cobra team we all know from the dongle they produced that gave us PSP, PS3, PS2, and PSX game support is back with something new and it’s not a dongle (thank god). The Optical Drive Emulator is in line to reinvent the way we play backup copies of our favorite games. But not only will it allow us to play our PS3 backups it will also allow for PS2/PS1 backups to be played on backwards compatible consoles as well as a whole slew of other features that have been packed into this little piece of hardware. One of the most important features you should know about is the "Solderless installation on all FAT consoles and 20xx/21xx SLIM consoles", hinting that newer consoles will require a soldered installation. Cobras ODE will be available this February and is currently taking orders, have a read of the full list of features below.

Models supported:
    One hardware revision supports all. Our hardware has been designed to both fit inside and interface with the Super Slim version of the consoles, as well as the SLIM and older FAT systems. If you upgrade at any time from a FAT to a SLIM or a Super SLIM, then there's no need to buy a new device....

Support for the newer consoles such as 25xx, 3xxx and 4xxx to run ISO's will be

included at release.

Game Ripping:
    Functionality will be added shortly after release of the device via a firmware update. Ripping speed will be almost as fast as that reached by connecting drive to PC and users will benefit from the convenience of a hassle free game ripping experience! Rip games directly on PS3 to an external USB HDD in ISO format.

Additionally we will provide a PC app at time of release of the product to market which allows conversion of JB game dumps to ISO format, so users can simply download games from the net and convert them with our app. The app will patch additional data required to create necessary ISO format.

Features:

Play all PS3 games.
    Play PS2/PS1 games on backwards compatible consoles
    Solderless installation on all FAT consoles and 20xx/21xx SLIM consoles
    Easy and fast installation for 25xx series SLIM, 3000 series SLIM and 4000 series SUPER SLIM consoles
    Supports all current OFW and CFW's
    OSD selection of ISO's
    UI commander included
    Easy selection of Emulation and pass through modes
    Flexible and powerful embedded OS
    High speed ARM and onboard FPGA's are updatable via inbuilt updater mechanism
    Movie ISO's supported
    Additional hardware interface included to support future hardware addons, giving user maximum flexibility
    * Designed by the team who brought so many firsts to the scene!
    * 3000 series SLIM and 4000 series SUPER SLIM hardware supported from launch
    * Manufactured at a high tech facility = superb quality
    Also note that it will definitely not be a dongle, and PHAT console owners should even be happier

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some news again, Cobra ODE now supports all PS3 models:

The ODE will now support and play ALL PS3 Games, even on PS2 and PS1 compatible consoles. It will require a Solderless Installation on FAT and SLIM consoles and has been guaranteed to work on the new Super Slim/Slide Models (4000 Series). The new Dongle supports OFW's and Current CFW's.

Another guarantee has been that you won't need to buy another Dongle after this one, as all updates will be supported solely on this device alone, allowing future backups on multiman to be compatible with this dongle. The Dongle will rip and convert ISO's into standard Multiman format (Folders and files) onto your Internal and External drives.

It seems that the way Team Cobra going, EBOOT's might be a thing of the past, although, forking out money for DRM dongles are still a thing to sell to consumers who are willing to buy them.

Will anyone be taking advantage of this?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've read this device will fit inside the PS3? I'm guessing being that it fits between the BD drive and the PS3, so you then easily switch between using the real drive, or emulating the drive via the Cobra ODE. That just leaved the question about how to disable it to switch between the 2 modes. Would it need a physical disable switch via a case mod, or would this be via software by holding down certain controller of console buttons during boot time?

Any mention of price yet?

If this solution works as well as it sounds, then I'm guessing the same solution would work just as well for any other console with a physical drive? It makes we wonder if a similar device will appear for the 360. Would remove the worry about being banned from Live for detected drive CFW.

So, as this device is basically just a drive emulator, the console itself is left as is with OFW and seen by Sony's network as legal. Therefore if this ODE is fitted, it basically offers the ability to run pirated games, but doesn't add any ability to run homebrew or other digital content as a CFW would be needed. But the big advantage is of course being able to stay up to date with OFW and have the console online.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying one of the new super slim PS3s with this Cobra ODE.

With this setup, what oftens would be available for running unsigned code? Would it only be possible via CFW?

What did the Cobra USB dongle actually offer? Did that also need CFW, or was it the one that worked to bypass DRM with offical EBOOTS?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no further information than this.

The normal Cobra USB dongle offered playing downloaded PS3 games plus PSP/PS2/PSX games support, and it also needs its own CFW installed.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh OK. What, if any, advantages were there in using the Cobra USB dongle over just a CFW? Was it to support newer games that looked for newer firmware?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only advantage was the PSP/PS2/PSX games support.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cobra ODE Goes On Sale:

- Play all PS3 games.
    - Play PS2/PS1 games on backwards compatible consoles
    - Solderless installation on all FAT consoles and 20xx/21xx SLIM consoles
    - Easy and fast installation for 25xx series SLIM, 3000 series SLIM and 4000 series SUPER SLIM consoles
    - Supports all current OFW and CFW's
    - OSD selection of ISO's
    - UI commander included
    - Easy selection of Emulation and pass through modes
    - Flexible and powerful embedded OS
    - High speed ARM and onboard FPGA's are updatable via inbuilt updater mechanism
    - Movie ISO's supported
    - Additional hardware interface included to support future hardware addons, giving user maximum flexibility
    - Designed by the team who brought so many firsts to the scene!
    - 3000 series SLIM and 4000 series SUPER SLIM hardware supported from launch
    - Manufactured at a high tech facility = superb quality
    You can find a list of resellers here: http://www.cobra-ode.com/resellers.html