Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

My A4000 working !!!!

After so many days of repair, my friend replace a lot of stuff in the mother board. But it's working now.

A4000 with a 040 and buster 11
    I must buy now the 3.1 Roms

A small video so you can see my baby:
    http://youtu.be/mRWSuQMFUPU
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great news. What do you think of the A4000?

The front bezel is nice and white too, which is good. You could easily add a CD drive or writer to it too. The A4000's IDE port is buffered, unlike the A1200, so you can use a standard IDE cable and connect 2 devices.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far, it's cool, faster then my A1200 tower with the Phase 5 mkIV 1230.
    First i will try to find the 3.1 Roms for it, then i will put OS3.9
    I have an IDE splitter (is this the word?) small card that divides 1 in 2 IDEs... and put a cd-rom.
    ClassicWB for 3.1 runs fine with no problems, but i could not put the ADVSP version... didn't boot. Maybe because i don't have the 3.1 roms....
    A strange thing is that the board came with 2 different ROMs of 3.0, they are not equal...kind a strange...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: My A4000 working !!!!

You don't need an IDE splitter, if you mean a buffed IDE interface, as you would use on an A1200. In fact the A1200 ones are not compatible and can damage the A4000s IDE port. All you need is a standard PC IDE ribbon cable with 3 connectors on it. One for the motherboard, and 2 connectors for the devices. The A4000s port is already buffered and supports 2 devices as standard.

If you add a CD drive you will need software like IDEFix to get it working.

Remember the 040 well be faster for workbench and applications, but it is the least compatible 68k CPU for games. You should also add the 040 library into workbench so it's additional features and supported.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Tiago. Good stuff fella & isn't she so clean.

Be sure you have installed the 040 libs correctly. 030 machines do not need additional Libs in place, but 040 & up, ya do.

Also, for those not aware, Tiago's video of the Pulse Demo clearly shows the Power of the Amiga. See that expanding scrolling horizontal text...
    Even a 4.9Ghz Ivybridge System with Dual GTX670's on 29GB/Sec Memory Bandwidth, ....can not scroll text so smoothly.

I miss having an A4KD around tbh.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The small card i was talking came inside the 4000, the previous owner used it to put 2 HDs. I went to check it over the internet, and it's for A4000, so no problem with that one. I have one similar for my A1200 tower.
    Yes cd-rom, i put one also in the A1200 with IDEFIX, i will do the same to the A4000

@Kin Hell: yes she is very clean, front plastic is quite white, but inside it was a mess, the battery blow up, and all components around were damage. My friend was able to clean the mess and replace almost everything in that area. Video and sound were to bad, but it's fine!!

About the libs for the 040, it's just a copy to libs directory of workbench, or do i need to change something in startup-sequence?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go here:

http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?driverslibraries

The top .lha file is what u need. Extract to Libs, the following files only:

68040old.library
    68040new.library
    68040.library

Easy peasy.

There are also other versions kicking around. The link above is v46.5 whereas the link from Aminet below is v44.3

http://aminet.net/search?query=040+libs

Dunno about the Demo Version of v46.00. I'd stay clear tbh.

Different versions of Libs can cause instabilities or enhancements depending on what you run at the time. Tbah, the 040 range of processor cards had all sorts of different issues, just because they were 040 CPU's. 060 CPU's had a much better time and were more backwards capable than the 040 ever was. At the same time & most unfortunately, the 060 CPU's got kicked big time, particularly on FPU calculations. 040 mayhem in the day was almost the demise of Motorola 680xx based CPU's all together, yet everyone was crying out for the 060 to put everything right. It sort of did, but the Die hard need For Speeders were running progs like Oxyron:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...0&currency=EUR

to get as much as they could from their expensive investment. Then all the Die hard Need For Speeders were gagging for 68080. It never happened....
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 10th December 2012 at 20:22.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks mate,
    but do i only need to copy it to Libs folder? How the workbench knows there they exist there?
    No need for a path update? nothing in startup-sequence? Does workbench look at libs and use what's inside that folder?

And what a hell is that Oxyron patch? what kind of patch you have to pay for??
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on your new A4000 mate. I never installed that Oxyron patch to tell the truth, but AfAOS is great (if you have the power). ;-)
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Thanks mate,
    but do i only need to copy it to Libs folder? How the workbench knows there they exist there?
    No need for a path update? nothing in startup-sequence? Does workbench look at libs and use what's inside that folder?

And what a hell is that Oxyron patch? what kind of patch you have to pay for??
    Yes, just copy them to your Libs folder. 040 Routines will make the necessary calls for those Libraries & use them when needed, without the need for any mods to StartupSequence or User-Startup. You can add lines in either to turn the CPU Cache on using switches such as /DATABURST etc, but if you start modding the StartupSequence, you have to put them after the Setpatch line iirc. Not 100% on this exactly & don't have anything to play with to re-suss it out, ....sorry.

Oxyron Patch is only really needed if you want to optimize your FPU calculations. 040 CPU's can make some use of the prog iirc, but the 060 acrhitecture really packs a wallop on FPU calculations with this running in the background. Phase5 also had their own version of Oxyron called Cyberpatcher. This is available on the Phase5 link above via their System Disk.