Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sea of Stars

500cf443c7a7e8a36a882c393ecb1d4a20b9c04bfef9ad57.jpg

A new RPG called Sea of Stars has just been released last week.

It's a retro looking sprite based game similar in style to the 16bit SNES era RPGs like Chrono Trigger or Star Ocean.

Something very special about this game is the music; composed by Mitsuda Yasunori. The legendary composer behind famous soundtracks for games such as Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Xenoblade series.

It has been given away free to Xbox Gamepass and Playstation Plus subscribers, and is also available on Steam and Switch.

I've only played a few minutes so far to take a look and I'm liking it so far. So nice to have a new game that uses turn based combat. I like it much more than real time combat in a lot of newer RPGs.

So far it looks like you can also see your enemies before you engage with them which is always nicer than random surprise attacks, and you get to navigate larger areas in a zoomed our world map style which is always nice. But I've only just got through the basics teaching you the game mechanics so not even into the main game story yet.

Although I have this free on both my PS5 and PC via Gamepass I've actually tested it out on my Steam Deck using Gamepass cloud gaming as this game style is perfect for a handheld and it looks great on the Deck. No loading or buffering and correctly mapped controls. So I think I might just continue playing it on the Deck. Perfect game for when on the move and out and about.

Here's the launch trailer for a taster:

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why are you always so late with your news

I already have this on my wishlist since 3-4 months. I downloaded it on PS5.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not late with news. Just posting about it as a new release. I've had it on my wanted list for ages.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!