Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

More Kickstarters

I've been looking at a couple of Kickstarter projects lately and thought I could mention some interesting ones here if you haven't allready heard of them.

Just announced today is GODUS. This is Peter Molyneux and his team at 22cans who is looking at reimagining Populous. He feels nobody has really been able to recreate the magic of that game, so now he's going to try for himself. Needs £450,000. Too early to tell if this is going to succeed, but my bet is that it will.

A company called Retro Fusion wants to make The History of Ocean Software. This will be a book detailing the history of Ocean. It will of course include input and anecdotes from a lot of the people involved with Ocean and other major developers at the time. Full Colour and high production values is promised. If you like your videogame history, this looks like something worth having. Has raised almost £5,000 of its £12,000 goal with over 20 days to go. With a good push towards the end this one has a good chance.

Amiga game musician Allister Brimble wants to remake most of his classic Amiga themes and release them on a double album called The Amiga Works. These will be proper high quality productions, not just some quick remakes like the ones musicians like this sometimes make just for fun. If you don't know much of Allister Brimble's work, he worked for several developers either as an employee or freelance in the Amiga days, most notably Storm, Codemasters and Team 17. He created a lot of music for their titles, which include the Body Blows games, Superfrog, Full Contact, Assassin, the Alien Breed series, Overdrive, Indy Heat, Several Dizzy games, Project-X, Troddlers and many more. These are just examples, there is no finalised tracklist yet. Pledge high enough (£40) and you will also receive a USB stick with all the original mod-files and many of the sound effects like speech samples from Alien Breed. It will also contain a number of ringtones created from the original music and effects. The goal is £13,000. With over £9,000 collected and with over 40 days to go this one is a certainty.

Will keep posting interesting projects in this topic as I come across them.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the art they want to use for Godus, looks great. The idea of building 'up' is also great.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: More Kickstarters

These all look very interesting projects. Well definitely check them out some more tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't take long for antoher to turn up: The Oliver Twins wants to make a new Dizzy game, Dizzy Returns. Barring one or two remakes for modern platforms, this will be the first Dizzy game for twenty years and will be an original new game, not a remake. Will also include a retro mode with 8-bit graphics and the classic difficulty level.
    Requires £350,000 and will be developed for PC and iOS to start with.

Whether this one makes it or not is up in the air, I think. I'm a bit pessimistic actually. The problem here is that Dizzy hasn't remained a well-known brand for all these years but has faded into obscurity for all but retrogeeks like us. I think £350,000 will be hard to reach for something most people don't know what is anymore. I think they should have aimed lower. Then again there might be retrogeeks like us aplenty that want to see a new Dizzy title, so I might be surprised. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw that mentioned today on a site somewhere. I wondered how long it might be before a proper Dizzy was attempted again (rather than those lame handheld ports recently).

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dreamfall Chapters was added to kickstarter today. If you've been following gaming news, Ragnar Tørnquist has been talking about this follow-up to The Longest Journey series for a while, and that he would go to kickstarter for most of the funding. And here it is.

So it's obviously a sequel to Dreamfall. And from the looks of it will play exactly like it did, third person adventuring with three main playable characters. So no going back to its point'n'click roots I'm afraid. Still, it's a good story they've been telling in the previous two games, I'm interested in seeing the rest. Has almost $90.000 of its $850.000 goal in the first day, no doubt this will get made.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Zoë !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loves both games
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: More Kickstarters

I've been reading about all the projects you mentioned recently.

Does seem a bit suspect that they already raised money elsewhere though. Let's wait and see what the end result is.

Really looking forward to those games though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems it's a good week for old-school RPGs: Richard Garriot, aka Lord British, wants funds for Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. Lord British is famous for being the brain behind the entire Ultima series. He promises a fully immersive and interactive role-playing world. There'll be a rich story and the world will be well developed with races, religions, politics and so on. There's a classless character system which hasn't been elaborated further on yet. Basically he says he wants to bring roleplaying back to roleplaying games. He feels modern RPGs have been reduced to just level grinding with only a few initial character choices. This is going to be different, apparently. He has a very experienced team behind him with individuals who has worked on a long list of well-known titles. They're asking for $1,000,000 and though it hasn't got the incredible response that Torment got, they are nearly halfway there after a little more than a day.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it would be brilliant if he manages to raise the money for Shroud of the Avatar.

And I agree regarding modern RPGs. As much as I love playing them, many have a lot of grinding and fixate on mindless, boring side quests where you just run errands all day to level up and gain enough money to buy the items you need to pass a location to progress in the game world. The majority of MMOs are even more guilty of this. I loved some of the old Ultima games so it will be great to see a return of their creators next ideas.

I also wish they could come up with a better design for online MMOs. I've played SWTOR since beta and love the game, but this is very guilty of these things. Having to travel the same parts of a map over and over to complete quests before triggering a main mission quest to progress in the character's story starts to get boring after a couple of hours in one location. You don't however need to grind to progress so that is something it achieved.