Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Universal modchip Infectus

The first universal modchip of the world is called Infectus. It already runs as full-value Globe 360 replacement DVD drive firmware addon chip. The Infectus team is currently working on it, to make the chip PS3 firmware addon compatible, which could work with the exploit to write to the chip, and boot from there. The O-2 chip team gave their O-2 code at disposal, to make the Infectus chip PS2 compatible. As small bonus, they will also integrate Wii compability, but the team is relatively sure, that it will not be used for the Wii, due to its oversize. The chip has a 512kB flash memory and is programmed via USB. No known features yet, very basic information.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is quite mad to build a single universal mod chip that will work with all platforms. A cool achievement but I don't really see the point as you can only solder it into one system at a time and if you owned more than one system you would still need to buy multiple mod chips.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    as you can only solder it into one system at a time and if you owned more than one system you would still need to buy multiple mod chips.
    Ha, I thought the same, that's very true, it's a bit of nonsense. Perhaps they can then manufacture the chip for lower costs, so that the chip itself will only cost a third of a normal modchip.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose it is true that having a single universal chip that can be used to mod any console does simplify things a lot for the purchaser. It would mean they don't need to worry which chip they need to buy as they can just buy the same one each time for all systems.

Now wouldn't it be nice with the developers thought like this and just worked together on the ultimate console and then everyone could just write games and they would work on everyone's consoles! A true consumer gaming system. But if that were to happen what would all the teenage American kids have to argue about all day!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

Now wouldn't it be nice with the developers thought like this and just worked together on the ultimate console and then everyone could just write games and they would work on everyone's consoles! A true consumer gaming system. But if that were to happen what would all the teenage American kids have to argue about all day!
    WOA! You know, I never thought of this! It would be so cool! If Nintendo, Sony and M$ all joined forces to produce one gaming console. It would be called: The Ultimate.

Nintendo, being the masters of creativity, would bring fully incorporated 3D virtual reality. Yes, all the objects in the environment would be blocky, and the people wouldn't have arms, but hey, who cares?! You would be able to play all games on a treadmill, a little larger than a small circular trampoline, and you would be able to run in any direction.

M$ would bring the power. The ability to incoporate Multicore CPU units into the machine would allow it to run extremely long and tedious codes. Also, its extremely lazy programmers would of course botch up the first release, so that any 15 yr. old could reverse program it to allow it to play downloadable ISOs. Then of course, a 1PB drive would be installed so that every game every released could be played....this is where an excellent file manager (such as DOpus) would be extremely useful.

And last but not least, Sony would allow.......Sony would allow......

Oh yea, Sony would allow extremely high prices. And a "worldwide" realease of Japan.

Then America.

Then Europe.

Then if we are lucky......the rest.....no wait......

The rest, na tricked ya.....

The rest of the world. This would then be follwed by mass gang riots as everyone decided to buy guns instead to hold up anyone that had one, and a similar storyline to any GTA game would ensue.

And thus concludes the story of, The Ultimate.
    Last edited by Submeg; 28th March 2007 at 01:45. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get the hint you are not completely devoted to Sony?

Personally I'm more for Sony than I am for M$. Sony were the first to market with the idea for the multi core processor, with the Cell in the PS3. M$ just came along and stole the idea and stuck a 3 core CPU in the 360.

That treadmill moving in any direction and virtual reality, combined with the power to process huge amount of data is leading towards the obvious. Soon we will all have a console in our homes called "The Holodeck"

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, Im devoted to Sony...well devoted to MGS, so where that goes, so will I...Yea I'm waiting for full VR, it will be so cool....

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Imagine the possibilities. MMO's in holospace!

That could be quite a scary idea though. I imagine many of the devoted MMO players (WoW especially) spend many hours a day at their computers without any exercise. Imagine them really appearing "as is" in a virtual world! *shudders" Would be like a world populated by Gamorrean Guards!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol, but then you would actually have to walk, and fight in battles....would make you pretty fit.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did think of that when I posted the above comments. I could imagine the news "MMO players drop dead from sudden exercise shock!"