Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Circular Saw - Evolution Fury 1

I've been getting fed up with trying to cut straight cuts in wood for some time now, so decided I needed a better tool for the job. And now I'm cladding the interior of my new shed with OSB board I definitely need more than a jigsaw, handsaw or even a scorpion saw. I'm also planning on boarding in more of the loft soon so it would be needed for that job too.

So I got myself a circular saw. I did some research first and got this one:

Evolution Fury 1. http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/project/fury.html

This saw has a special multi purpose blade that can cut through anything! If you are cutting wood and it has some nails in it the saw will just carry on cutting through the lot. With a normal circular saw this could cause dangerous kickback. It can cut wood, metal and plastic.

You can also buy a special diamond blade for cutting paving slabs and bricks. That might come in handy soon when I will be laying a new path in the back garden up to the shed.

It doesn't have a laser guide, but really I wouldn't rely on that anyway (a bit of a gimmick) as measuring correctly is the only way to get correct cuts first time. It does have all the other features wanted on a circular saw though. Depth adjustment so you don't have more blade exposed than you need, and angle adjustment up to 45 degrees for bevel and mitre cuts.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can it cut Amigas?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Easily! Apple's even more so!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Can it cut Amigas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Easily! Apple's even more so!!
    *cough*

And what about Atari cutting? - You could do loads of em in one go with this bad boy:

22-52chainsaw.jpeg

Can't beat a good Chainsaw.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you get one of those Evolution Saw's Dave? - Looks a nice bit of kit tbh.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. It is a great bit of kit. Needed it for our new shed as I insulated the inside and needed to cut OSB board to clad the whole inside of the shed. It did a great job, cutting through the board like butter. I've also used it for cutting some metal and plastic pipe and it went through that without any issues.

I especially love the abilitiy to set the exact depth of cut to you don't need excess blade sticking out under the wood as you are cutting, and the angle cutting has come in handy too.

Highly recommend it for the price. I don't know why I never bought one before now. So much easier than a hand saw. Plus getting this over any other make is worth it too for the multi purpose blade that can cut through wood, metal and plastic.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a big saw.
    looking at the size, Isn't it a fixed saw less expensive? I mean, instead of move the saw to the wood, a fixed one that you move the wood to the saw?
    I guess you would need a fixed placed to attach it, so probably that is a disadvantage... holding large objects to cut, could also be bad...
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Time to invest in a Diamond Blade for the Fury so I can cut some paving slabs.

@Tiago. It's about the same size as most circular saws. Table saws are really useful for quickly cutting long lengths of wood for things like cabinets, or for making fence posts etc.. but you need a large space to install and use one, plus you have to take the wood to them. My parent's old next door neighbour was a carpenter and had a serious looking table saw in his double garage. It took up half the space and could cut through anything.

With a circular saw its a very versatile tool. You can take it anywhere you can run a power cable, and cut anything you need. For me it has replaced hand saws, hacksaws and loads of other manual tools. And as I said I wish I had bought one a long time ago.

The only saw it hasn't replaced that I use is a jigsaw.. Oh and obviously it's no use for trees! For that a traditional bow saw can't be beaten, ir for bigger jobs a chainsaw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked @ buying one of these evolution Circular saws, but the type to sit on a bench, sometimes known as a Chop Saw. I didn't buy one in the end despite seeing positive reviews by the truck load about the saws themselves. Where these Evolution tools fall flat on their face is the longevity of their blades. Apparently, if you hit nails in wood, it has a severe impact on the sharpness of the blade when then cutting something softer such as wood. Most might chirp, "So buy another make of blade". - But this is not possible.
    Where every other company such as Makita, Metabo & even *cough* Black & Decker use a 30mm size hole in their blades, Evolution do not.
    So you buy an Evolutions circular saw & then have to buy their blades or throw the tool away.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ttrue, but their blades are generally also cheaper than other makes. I've seen them 50% less, plus I'm still using the original blade in mine with no issues.