Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beneath a Steel Sky 2 confirmed

Revolution Software have confirmed a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky is going to happen.

They were using Kickstarter to raise money to develop Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse, a new addition to that great series, and decided as the money started to be collected that as a bonus they would also develop a sequel to BASS if the target hit $1 Million. It didn't get there and ended around $770,000 but they have decided to go ahead with it anyway. So great news.

"We're delighted by the recent level of interest in a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky and are currently discussing design ideas for this project which we plan to go into development following the release of Broken Sword - The Serpent's Curse," the studio told Develop. "We're deeply touched that our Steel Sky fans are as enthusiastic today as they were when the original game released in 1994."

The sequel is a pretty big deal to a certain subset of gamers because Beneath a Steel Sky is widely regarded as an exceptionally good game, with sharp writing, glorious visuals and challenging but not unfairly obtuse gameplay. The Golden Joystick Awards declared it the "Best Adventure Game" of 1995, while PC Gamer gave it a nod for "Best Dialog."

Beneath a Steel Sky 2 will be developed for Windows, Linux, OS X, iOS and Android, with a possibility of a console release as well. It won't be around for awhile - Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse isn't expected to be ready until April 2013, according to the Kickstarter page, and work on BASS2 won't begin until sometime after that.
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...-a-Steel-Sky-2

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope they will not do it in 3D though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. Has to retain the artistic style of the original. No 3D adventure game has ever been as good as their 2D forbearers.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Agreed. Has to retain the artistic style of the original. No 3D adventure game has ever been as good as their 2D forbearers.
    Indeed, Simon the Sorcerer 3 comes straight away into my mind, yuck, that was a horrible looking and unplayable game, and the first 2 were some of the best adventure games I ever played.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes, the third was a horrible game. But nothing compared to how bad the 4th game was. That was one of the worst commercial games I've tried to play. It felt like one of those half finished PD adventure you used to discover on the Amiga.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, that wasn't the best either, but nevertheless better than the 3rd in my opinion.

I have to mention here, that I even preferred the first 2 Simon the Sorcerer games to the Monkey Island series.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say they were different enough to be as good as each other. I still love the MI humour, and it was the genre definer for point and click adventures. Simon perfected it more.. helped greatly by Chris Barrie's voice acting and some nice jokes.

Although my favourite Adventures are probably still Future Wars and Lure of the Temptress. Although there were so many great Adventure games on the Amiga it is hard to select just one as the all time best.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I liked Future Wars a lot, but it was sometimes a bit frustrating, because you had to click 100% on the right spot to pick up something or go somewhere.

I never finished Lure of the Temptress.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Lure of the Temptress was one of the first I did complete fully. Well worth it as there are loads of extra parts within some of the scenes that only get unlocked, or make sense towards the end. It was also the first game to try and introduce a real-world feel to characters, using their Virtual Theatre system.

One thing I always liked about the good Adventure games is that they removed the "level" feel to them as you moved around the screens like a virtual world.. these were in a way some of the first open world ideas, but with a fairly linear main story.

You also can't discount Flashback, although that was more an Action Adventure with some RPG elements, especially the middle of the game where you had to get a job and spend ages working and running errands to earn enough money to enter the game show to win the ticket to Earth.