Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sony shuts Sony Liverpool (Psygnosis)

_62436612_memories.jpg
    Sony Liverpool posted this Wipeout-inspired graphic on their Facebook page.

It is very sad news for retro gamers, and Amiga gamers especially, that Sony has finally decided to close down Sony Liverpool, formally the famous developer Psygnosis.

Their last game release was Wipeout 2048, released earlier this year for the Sony Playstation Vita.

Psygnosis were one of the oldest games developers still in operation. Originally dating back to 1984 and releasing classic titles such as Barbarian and Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga. And, after being purchased by Sony in 1993 and renamed studio Liverpool, Sony utilised them to create some great games for their new Playstation console, including the famous Wipeout series.

The announcement posted by Sony to the Games site Kotaku reads as follows:

We do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive market place.

It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and has contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.
    Other parts of its Liverpool campus are said to remain unaffected by this closure, but it is unclear if any of the 100 staff from Sony Liverpool will be offered alternative posts.

Personally I think their days were numbered when Sony lost their rights to the Formula 1 game license.. signing the end of any future F1 games from the studio. Very sad as those, along with Wipeout were 2 great franchise.

Last edited by Harrison; 24th August 2012 at 15:56.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very sad news that another of the old development teams has been shut down. Allthough, I must admit that my fondest memories of them are from the Psygnosis era. Never really was the same after the switch to Studio Liverpool. Still, sad to see them go.

About the name-change, you say - and I see all the news-sites say - that the company was changed to Studio Liverpool when Sony bought them in '93. But I'm positive that most, if not all their titles in the PS1 era such as the first Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, G-Police etc were released under the Psygnosis label. As I recall it, they didn't start using the Studio Liverpool brand before the PS2 era. Anyone else remember this?
    Last edited by Teho; 24th August 2012 at 19:37. Reason: stupid typo

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Sony shuts Sony Liverpool (Psygnosis)

Now you mention it.. I will have to look at my psone collection and see what their games say.

Just thought. Didn't they also do Rollcage? That was a great game.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, they did Rollcage too. They had a lot of IPs going during the the PS1 era, including some quirky one-offs. Remember Overboard? Enjoyable little top-down action game where you controlled a little pirate-ship through maze-like levels, sinking other ships and attacking ports and so on. Was quite fun. Yes, they definitely had a lot still going for them with the PS1 as well, it definitely was when the PS2 came around that they became Studio Liverpool. And then they stopped everything and focused solely on Wipeout games. While those were impressive and enjoyable, it was then that the old Psygnosis died. Not now. But still, as I said earlier, sad to see them close for good now.