Downloads
    Uploads

What is the current 'rate' for a working vanilla A1200 nowadays?

Apologies if this is not allowed, but purchased an a1200 back end of last year, and used it a lot then, but recently it has been gathering dust, and also my old A500 has been found in the parents loft (under a load of toy cars ) so it isn't really needed now.

Added to the fact that a lot of my games didn't appear to like the a1200 in some way or the other, so decided it may as well be sold and the money put to use elsewhere.

Nothing really much to say, it has the box (screen magic i think, need to dig it out), the workbench discs, the word processing discs, a handful of games (literally 2), gamepad, mouse, A/v cables for composite, no HD as this didnt have one as standard.

Slight yellowing of the keys (as all of that age gets), works perfectly fine.

Obviously i dont want top dollar for it (it doesnt have any special or rare addons) but dont want to price it way below expected.

So any advice accepted, and as this ISNT a for sale ad, dont PM me with offers, when i have a price and photos then i will add it to amibay.

thanks

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Standalone good condition A1200 that is vanilla with no upgrades at all is worth about £40-50

If it is boxed with original manuals, workbench disks, poly inserts etc then it adds a bit to the price. About £65-85

For the A500, if it is a standard A500 with the hand holding a disk kickstart screen and is in reasonable condition, then it is worth from £10-25.

These prices would vary depending on condition of the cases. If they have gone yellow at all it will lower their value, but not by much.

If you are looking to sell them then take a look at http://www.amibay.com. I administrate that site too, so any questions just ask.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks, will try amibay first, should be a better audience than ebay!

it has everything and boxed, just missing the manual for 'Oscar', but had the wordworth manual (unopened!) and registration code and also the Deluxe paint manual which has never been opened either.

Thanks

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try asking for £80 first for the boxed A1200, and if you don't get any interest after a couple of weeks then lower it to say £70 or £65. Should sell easily at those prices, but try the higher first.

A quick note regarding Amibay. We don't allow members to ask about the value of items on there, so if unsure ask here instead and I can try to help.

Just wanted to ask if you are sure you want to sell the A1200 and keep the A500? The A1200 is a much better gaming machine. These days with a old laptop 2.5" HDD installed in it, and using a program called WHDLoad you can install and run nearly every game ever released for the Amiga directly from HDD. Even A500 games as WHDLoad emulates the older 1.3 kickstart to make them work on the A1200. Is the best setup for Amiga gaming. The A500 is very limited by comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not really used it TBH and all of my games i know work on the A500, so rather than spend more money on getting 1200 compatable, easier to sell and use the A500 (also have an Xbox 1, 360 and Sega megadrive plugged into my monitor so no lack of retro goodness!)

Also i am looking to upgrade my home-office hi-fi to separates so the money will make a good dent into that and be more wife friendly

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The issue with the A500 is having to still load the games from floppy disk. It's slow and floppy disks are not getting any younger. They only have a 10 year lifespan, so the fact many Amiga games are now pushing 20+ years old means it is amazing so many do still load and work.

With an A1200 the same games get converted from floppy to HDD via WHDLoad and boot from the HDD in a couple of seconds. Same games, just no floppy disks, and the games save to the hdd too.

Alternatively if you are 100% certain you are going to keep just the A500 is look at the HxC floppy drive emulator. This is a very smart piece of hardware. It replaces the actual floppy drive in any machine, be it an Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad, Spectrum, Acorn etc, and it emulates the drive so the computer still thinks it is loading from one. However this HxC emulator has an SD card slot. You copy a load of Amiga games in adf fomat onto the sd card, pop it into the HxC, then you can look through the contents of the SD card from its LCD screen, select a game to run, it loads it ready, then the Amiga boots, thinks it has found the original disk and boots it as normal. Very nice device and removes floppy disks from the equation.