Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Land of Genesis; need details and photos of the CD and case

Hello all,

I have a bit of a weird request to ask the people here but I have a good reason for asking it.
    A couple of weeks ago I bought the Amiga CD game Land of Genesis for my collection on Ebay, and though the price was not high and the seller had a good reputation I can't help but still be a little suspicious if the item is genuine.

The CD case's cover and back print was of a lower state than you usually get with commercial products and I have my questions if the CD has not been burned and a copied CD print placed on it.

I could be mistaken of course as I have heard that some developers/publishers could not afford a higher standard of production but I would like to find out if that is the truth in this case.
    Unfortunate I can not make any pictures as I have no camera but I doubt that photos could determine if an item is real or not.

Hope to get reactions from people
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All commercially released Amiga CDs were pressed. I don't know of any that were supplied on CD-R. If the CD isn't a commercially glass pressed CD then it is highly likely a fake. CD labels will most of the time be screenprinted onto the discs to, and would never use sticky labels.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crap, then I fear its a burned copy because of the CD and the questionable quality of the box print.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Inlay card print quality isn't so easy because I've got a couple of original CD32 games where the printing and paper quality doesn't look very good, but I purchased them retail back in 1993-96 direct from the publishers, so they are genuine. It really is just the CD you can go by. The centre of a pressed CD will also always having a number/letter sequence around the inside edge of the disk on the underside, and often also a barcode etched into it too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Dave, the CD does have a number sequence on the underside but it also reads CDR (why I didn't realize to look there eventually is beyond me) so I do fear I am dealing with a burned copy.

I wonder, this seller is overing various Amiga CD games (and I think boxed) that he claims are 'new', should I now warn you guys by putting his Ebay details here on Classic Amiga?

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe he thinks it's original... and it's not. Probably he bought the game from someone else some time ago, and he doesn't know.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    The thing is, he is offering the same game now again on Ebay.UK using the same photo of the auction which I won, so I am leaning towards the game I won being a burned copy and that this may not be a single case.
    Last edited by Ghost; 1st August 2012 at 20:49.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Confront him and ask. If he denies it then if you paid through PayPal launch a dispute stating he sold you counterfeit software. They will look very badly on the seller for this and will refund you your money.