Thread: Foundation Gold

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Foundation Gold

Hello all,

Once again I would like to question the people here, in particular Harrison about one of the Amiga games I found on the Internet while surfing around.
    This time its about Foundation Gold.

I probably do not need to mention it is a Settlers clone but I am curious to know what people's opinions are about it regarding gameplay and if its worth collecting.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice game mate. As you say, it is a Settlers clone, and the Gold edition on CD came with loads of updates and extras such as more levels.

Had a great promotion during development where you could scan in a photo of yourself and send to the developers and they would add your face to one of the in game characters.

It had fairly high specs at the time, requiring a 68030 CPU or better, 8MB fast ram or more, and a CD drive.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Works better if you have at least an 040 and a graphics card.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is one game I've not actually tried on my A4000 since I upgraded it to an 040 a while back. Really should give this a go on there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But do you guys think its worth collecting?
    Someone is offering it on Ebay but its 25GBP and I don't know if that is to much for this game.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure if it's worth collecting as it's not a "classic" I would consider finding an iso and downloading it, see if you enjoy it and if you do then buy it.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. If you are considering buying any retro game, first try it in emulation via a rom or iso to see if you really like it, or think it is worth it.

£25 seems quite expensive... I'm sure you should be able to get hold of a copy much cheaper if you look about. Maybe post a Wanted advert for it on Amibay and see what people want for their copy? Also, the game was given away free on a magazine cover CD in the late 90's. I forget if it was Cu Amiga or Amiga Format. Will have a look through my cover CDs when I get chance and see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all,

Well I don't mind paying extra for an original game but as you both also said, it is expensive and I don't know if I would like the game.
    Opinions about the game are also very divided online which also made me question the purchase.

This was the sale I was looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUNDATION...item4ab98c009d

I would love to give it a try online but I still don't know how to run Amiga CD games on WinUAE.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mount the CD in WinUAE as a HDD. It will then load into Workbench fine.

However, I think foundation needed to be installed to HDD, so you will need to setup a virtual HDD in WinUAE with Workbench installed, then mount the CD as a second HDD and install it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't even have Workbench on it to be honest as I never figured out how I could install it.

Sadly I am somewhat Amiga emulation incompetent