Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still refusing to upgrade from XP Charlie?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No Dave, I had to go Win7 64 to play games on High end cards ffs. I also object to the instances @ versions of other shit such as Net Framework & such. Gah.

WinBlows 8 - sucky sucky!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So what do you actually think of Windows 7? As bad as you thought? Or growing on you? Nice to have access to more than 4GB ram though isn't it? What spec system you running now?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still the same water cooled 6GB Skt 1366 i7 rig I posted over @ AmiBay, but soon to be ex-dual GTX 580'd.

And yeah, 64Bit is the only thing to do for more than 3.5GB of ram to show. Even Creative X-Fi Fatality cards can be a pain in the ass under this Win7 platform though. Plug in a TomTom Sat nav for an update & the sound get's fux0rd because the OS thinks it's a media device??? - The only way to restore sound is to un-install the X-Fi in Device manager & let it re-discover itself on a soft re-boot?? - This sort of crap just shouldn't be happening, but @ the same time; LOL!!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wasn't the Creative X-Fi issue due to a complete redesign of how Windows handled audio since Vista? and Creative cards had a big issue with that change and having to make new drivers for them. but still not that stable.

So what are you replacing the 580s with?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Wasn't the Creative X-Fi issue due to a complete redesign of how Windows handled audio since Vista? and Creative cards had a big issue with that change and having to make new drivers for them. but still not that stable.

So what are you replacing the 580s with?
    Probably Creative being as creative as they were with DMA issues back in the early days. Tbh Dave, I'm sure things will behave better once I can get into either of the two 2x PCIe slots that are currently blocked off with the stock Gigabyte UD7 NB Cooler. The rig needs a spring clean & the supplied UD7 NB Water Block putting into the loop. So, now the GTX580 replacements have arrived, I need to rebuild the whole rig for some really cool running, & the new cards are staying on Air for a while.

I replaced them with a couple of Gigabyte Windforce 3 GTX 670's. Amazing cards & I really do mean amazing!! - I've only run one of them for a "look-see" and am seriously impressed. I only show Vantage benchies for the moment, because the program scales very well with SLI cards, so have a squiz below:

Dual GTX 580's

Single GTX 670

The real plus about the 670's over the 580's (forgetting the FPS thing for a moment) is the heat. The dual 580's on air came out of the Vantage Benchmark @ nearly 90 DegC. The single 670 came out @ 35 DegC.

It's also about power consumption too. It would have cost £500 for GTX 580 Water blocks, Radiator upgrade & a PSU upgrade. For selling the 580's @ £450 clear, it was only £186 to go & buy 2 x GTX 670's & I can still run them both on air with decent temps & the PSU I already have. - Ker-Ching!
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 25th July 2012 at 20:21.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice indeed. That single card is definitely not too far behind the older SLI setup is it. Would like to see what results you get once you have the SLI'd 670's installed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's me thinking my GTX 560 Ti 1gig ddr3 was good it's the biggest card i have ever had.
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 560 is still a very good card, and if you can still play the games you want to play at high settings then it is definitely good enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll start a thread in the coming weeks for you. - Life took another dive for us this morning. - Deb's Dad passed away.

Ted xx