Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear that Charlie. Please pass mine and Annabel's condolences and best wishes to Deb's and the rest of the family.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the kind words Dave. Debs appears to be coping well so far, but lots to arrange. Her Bro is over today helping her go through the necessary procedures, but we are still yet waiting, for the coroner's Officer to report on the post mortem. Because we didn't have a Doctors certificate of death, the coroner's office have to be involved.

Life goes on, as they say......
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Wasn't the Creative X-Fi issue due to a complete redesign of how Windows handled audio since Vista? and Creative cards had a big issue with that change and having to make new drivers for them. but still not that stable.

So what are you replacing the 580s with?
    Probably Creative being as creative as they were with DMA issues back in the early days. Tbh Dave, I'm sure things will behave better once I can get into either of the two 2x PCIe slots that are currently blocked off with the stock Gigabyte UD7 NB Cooler. The rig needs a spring clean & the supplied UD7 NB Water Block putting into the loop. So, now the GTX580 replacements have arrived, I need to rebuild the whole rig for some really cool running, & the new cards are staying on Air for a while.

I replaced them with a couple of Gigabyte Windforce 3 GTX 670's. Amazing cards & I really do mean amazing!! - I've only run one of them for a "look-see" and am seriously impressed. I only show Vantage benchies for the moment, because the program scales very well with SLI cards, so have a squiz below:

Dual GTX 580's

Single GTX 670

The real plus about the 670's over the 580's (forgetting the FPS thing for a moment) is the heat. The dual 580's on air came out of the Vantage Benchmark @ nearly 90 DegC. The single 670 came out @ 35 DegC.

It's also about power consumption too. It would have cost £500 for GTX 580 Water blocks, Radiator upgrade & a PSU upgrade. For selling the 580's @ £450 clear, it was only £186 to go & buy 2 x GTX 670's & I can still run them both on air with decent temps & the PSU I already have. - Ker-Ching!
    Very nice indeed. That single card is definitely not too far behind the older SLI setup is it. Would like to see what results you get once you have the SLI'd 670's installed.
    Some very very impressive numbers indeed. BF3 is virtually 120fps everywhere.

I really don't know what to say. The whole rig plays like an "LPB" should.....
    Responsive beyond comprehension & simply stunning, though a Skt 2011 rig would really let these cards fly....

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. But at the moment would you really notice any difference upgrading to a 2011 setup? The numbers would be higher, but when gaming it would probably be hard to tell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. But at the moment would you really notice any difference upgrading to a 2011 setup? The numbers would be higher, but when gaming it would probably be hard to tell.
    Well Dave, for & on behalf of the FPS nutters out here, you can never have enough FPS.

Tbh though, I'm really enjoying what I have here atm. It's just a case of set everythng to MAX in the graphics detail Dept & 1920 x 1080 just gets on with it at 120FPS; - VSYNC'd most of the time.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With such a highend setup why not consider upgrading your monitor to a higher resolution? It really isn't giving the system a workout these days at that resolution.

My 27" Dell 2711 has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and every game I play runs on maximum settings with my 2600K and 6950.
    Last edited by Harrison; 13th August 2012 at 01:40.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With such a highend setup why not consider upgrading your monitor to a higher resolution? It really isn't giving the system a workout these days at that resolution.

My 27" Dell 2711 has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and every game I play runs on maximum settings with my 2600K and 6950.
    Tbh Dave, the monitor is fine & it is 120Hz, meaning is looks far better @ 120Hz with VSYNC than 2000+ @ 60Hz could ever look, play or feel.

Don't want to sound snotty either, but I can only imagine how laggy your 6950 would feel compared to a single GTX670, let alone two.
    Last edited by Harrison; 13th August 2012 at 01:40.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not laggy at all mate... after all science has proved the human eye can't see beyond 60fps anyway!

Most games run around 95-110fps no problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not laggy at all mate... after all science has proved the human eye can't see beyond 60fps anyway!

Most games run around 95-110fps no problems.
    You probably won't like this, but......

The human eye can see better than 60Hz/60fps, at least mine can & a few other select friends who have been in the FPS gaming scene for the last 15 years or so.....
    Grab any decent CRT monitor & I can tell you the difference between 75Hz & 85Hz just looking @ the desktop. Throw a 3D game with VSYNC on it & the 60Hz/60FPS is laggy crap, with the desktop flickering like a complete bitch!
    If the CRT can sustain 75Hz @ the selected in-game screen resolution, it is miles btter than a shitty 60Hz/60FPS scenario....easy as & 85hz with VSYNC on will give you 85FPS which is smoother still. Flicker on the desktop @ 75Hz is still annoying to me, yet 60Hz on the desktop with a crap LCD panel does NOT flicker. But 60Hz/60FPS for gaming with VSYNC is utter bollocks m8. 60FPS is NOT adequate for a smooth gaming experience. It's quite obvious you are not running VSYNC in your games to claim your low end 6950 card is giving you 95-110FPS no problems. Put VSYNC on to stop the horizontal tearing looking from left to right & your poor monitor is gunno look pathetic @ 60FPS. It will be utter laggy crap @ 60fps & as any serious FPS gamer will tell you, 60Hz/60FPS is not adequate to play games >"Smoothly"<

I was talking to the Spunkster only today about these facts, faced with trying to build a half decent gaming rig for someone who visited yesterday to view my set up. His exact words watching Crysis run @ 75-85FPS with ULTRA settings on 2 x GTX 670's was "F'k me! - I have never seen ANY rig run this game so smoothly" & that doesn't even include the crapness of ATI's shocking VSYNC attempts. Don't even start about the crap ATI driver support, where their latest & greatest releases are still waiting for driver updates some 6 months+ after the cards release.....

Jfyi, Your Dell 2711's native resolution is 2560 x 1440 and only 60Hz @ best, so VSYNC set to ON in any game will limit the FPS to 60, if your card can handle 60FPS @ that resolution. Also, your Monitors grey to grey response time is poor @ 6ms when your 120hz monitors are doing it in 2ms. 4ms is a big difference on grey to grey transitions & how well your 3D gaming experience amounts to.

You also have to ask this of yourself too mate.....
    Do you honesty think I'd be blowing all this cash when a single shitty AMD/ATI card could actually do what you're trying to tell me it does??
    & I have to answer "No" now to save you trying to wind me up over anything any different mate.

You either accept a few basic concepts about VSYNC/Monitor Refresh Rates with VSYNC/nVidia cards enabled to stop the tearing & enable smoothness or we have to agree to this statement:

"Stay out of my world or you are going to end up seriously pissed off." - The Spunksters words, not mine, ....but he's absolutely spot on.

The last statement there comes from a £60k -a-year I.T. Guy who reckons that a PS3 running the latest gran Turismo has 900 cars to choose from with real-time weather conditions. He saw iRacing running on a Dual GTX580 Rig with £500 of Thrustmaster F/F/back Steering wheel with only 25 cars, no weather simulation (The game is still alpha/beta) yet thereafter, he said GT on the PS3 is utter crap by comparison....

As a last note, I have to add that having all this horsepower on tap get absolutely & completely "SHAFTED" when you try & go online to play your latest investment of £80 for BF3 & it's add-ons. BT totally **** you with a shit low Noise Margin of 6db, leaving your game on a rig of this calibre acting like a ****ing DX66 rig with 4mb onboard graphics.

I sincerely endorse the Spunksters comment on this fact & whilst in a now in a "Stalemate" situation with BT f'kin Wholesale, I have to ask how the f'k that ever happened when they have never spoken to me personally about my shit ADSL & now even shity-er Fibre experience on 750m of Copper wire providing 27ms pings when 3100m of copper wire on ADSL gave me 17ms pings with Interleaving off!!!...... I might as well be sat in the corner of my room & toss myself off ffs! - Meantime, I'll bend over some more whilst turning my wallet inside out during the process...F'kin BS bastards......
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 12th August 2012 at 19:28. Reason: Frickin speed Typos

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding internet connections. Your connection is only as good as the connection from your exchange to the main backbone. You could have a 1Gbps fibre line with an amazingly low ping rate, but if the exchange is still connected by a 10Mbps copper cable to the backbone then you won't get any better than that, and the actual latency will be much higher than you are getting reported from the exchange.

The UK needs to get off its arse and do something about upgrading the whole network infrastructure to fibre. Until that happens we will always be left with large sections of our network running on antiquated wiring and exchanges, and because of how the internet works (breaking everything into data packets.. firing them from source to destinations through loads of different nodes.. then reassembling at the other end) we will always get bad slowdown issues.

Regarding my Dell U2711. Typo on the resolution before (was typing via mobile).. now fixed in previous post/s. I'm not really that bothered about the differences between a few ms. No normal person will ever notice the difference between the two. I'm most interested in colour accuracy and screen real estate. I'm both a designer and a gamer so this monitor is perfect for me to perform both tasks.

I would never use a CRT these days due to flicker (whatever the refresh rate), the power consumption, and the radiation they produce. Some still prefer CRTs but I've moved on. For serious work a CRT will never look as pixel sharp as an LCD in its native resolution. My only exception is when editing SD video as you do still need to preview it on a CRT it see the best results.

And finally, regarding GPUs. As you well know I'm not bothered with owning the best currently on the market. I'm all about the best value for money. The 6950 was just down from the highest performing cards when i bought it (not now but when i bought it the 6970 was the best), and it performs more than well enough for me personally. I'm not bothered if a game is managing 120fps, or 70fps. As long as to me the game is running smoothly and I am enjoying it that is all I need.

I know there are the real high-end enthusiasts like yourself who strive to get the maximum out of what you have, or have to try and build the best currently available just to see what it can do. And it is impressive to see a system running on the highest end gear, but for the cost I personally would rather go for a slight compromise by opting for hardware just below the top, save a lot of money, and spend it on other things.

At the end of the day it is each their own. You always want to have the faster performing PC. I want a PC that performs very nicely, but am willing to compromise slightly to save myself a lot of money as I have other hobbies.