Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: House flooded!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes thanks. On very high ground here H.

Good luck with your enquiries.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the water table survey I would have thought you'd get some info from planning department/environmental office? I did find this site (haven't had much time to read over it)http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/ground...vels_data.html it does look like it could be useful. Its good that all your neighbours coming together to fight this, even the houses that are not effected should be taking part as it will effect the value of the whole street. Hopefully you can get it sorted before you sell-up keeping the value of your house. With the planning department I know (up here) they like to be consulted and asked for advice as to many people think "I'll just do what I want" so it could be worth ringing them to enquire what a building firm would have had to do in the planning process for development with regards to water table survey, drainage responsibility/requirements?

All the best

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Along with our neighbours, whom also flooded, we have been going through online documents from the planning office, and other agencies related to the development of our building site, and have uncovered a lot of evidence indicating they knew this area has a high level water table and that the land being built on was known to flood.

The documentation outlines in detail where an existing drainage ditch and drain already existed on the site, and indicated that the site did flood at that part of the site. Further documentation shows plans of the existing ditch, and clearly shows that this ditch no longer exists and is in fact the location where the flooding now occurs whenever we have heavy rain to the right of our houses, and then backs up until the ground water level rises enough to enter our houses through the floor (not in through the doors).

We have also found previous planning applications from other builders which were turned down due to the risk of flooding to the site and preventative measures proposed not being good enough for the development to take place. Plus reports submitted by existing home owners next to the site raising their concerns about the existing regular flooding which occurred on the land.

We now therefore need to work out what course of action is available to us to prove this was a known and outstanding issue on the land used to build our houses, and to prove that the developers/builders did not put into place adequate drainage to prevent further flooding, or build the houses high enough above ground level to protect them against flooding due to the known high water table and subsequent flood risk to the site.

We managed to follow the documentation between our builder and the agencies regarding the flood risk and required drainage, and it ends with a report stating that the Environment Agency met with the builders at the site during the summer (when it was dry) and managed to verbally convince (using anecdotal evidence) the EA that a Flood Risk Assessment was not required. Is this really all they needed to do to prevent the need for this? If so I'm shocked and someone must be liable regarding this?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess if you go back to the EA with pictures of your houses flooded, with evidence of the lack of ditch, then you should have some leverage with the situation. Things like this really annoy me & largely because someone has got nice & fat from the investment whilst causing misery to other people lives. Bastards!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Concentrate on the previous planning applications that was rejected gathering the information on the why and if recommendations where given at the time for drainage! Then gather the information for the successful planning application trying to find out what drainage proposals where in place before the site meeting with the environmental people! Then if there was a report on why the environmental agency dropped any drainage recommendations, what evidence did they have when previous planning applications had been rejected.

I have studied construction management with some planning and building regulations but up here in Scotland can have different regulations but its should be a case with new build property development a set of criterias should be met with a document/report for each before a planning application is successful. Your trying to go through it all to see if there's any discrepancies and find out why, also if there was supposed to be adequate drainage put in, its then checking if it had been done. If you can get most of the information in place it would be easier and cheaper for a solicitor to look over it. I would have thought your building warranty should cover drainage? It sounds like a soakaway drain is not going to be good enough, so where would be the nearest main drainage system and if it would be possible to get connected to it?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The drainage is definitely the area we are concentrating on at the moment. I need to read through a lot more decuments and want to work out exactly what the drains are that are serving us directly. One neighbour is sure it's just a soak away, whereas another isn't. I'm also not certain because a soakaway wouldn't gurgle when the water does drain away after backing up.

The next main drainage system is in the main road in front of us as our close branches off from it. However it is on higher ground, which could be an issue, and I've also read some documents where it is stated that the developers are not allowed to connect to it because it can't handle additional capacity. However we must be connected to the mains sewer and that didn't backup with the last storm floods so I need to keep reading.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's some really good advice there from DonAmiga.

You can also get drainage/sewerage details from your local water board if you need additional reference for comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im came on here to look out for this! And Im sorry I found it updated! how are the things going down there? the weather is not letting up at all.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, our house hasn't flooded again since Christmas, and we have some developments with Southern Water investigating our drains, but it is ongoing and we are currently waiting for a report from them detailing exactly what they found.

There are loads of places around here with flooding though, but no where near the amount in the West Country, and now the Thames valley. Romsey where I grew up is quite badly flooded too, and I'd never seen it flooded like it is currently.

I also visited Hambledon, near Waterlooville in Hampshire a couple of weekends ago and the flooding there is really bad. The main street running through their village is completely shut because it's under a few feet of water and they are constantly pumping it out from the properties back into the road.

Take a look at this to see how bad it is there: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/topic/hambledon/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hambledon is having a real tough time with it for sure, but the spread of flood carnage is much bigger than Hambledon alone. Funny to hear the peers & queers arguing who was to blame for the widespread flooding here in the UK. One of the UK's biggest foible's.... blaming someone else, instead of rectifying the problem.

Still H, there is one good thing about this for you. At least you haven't flooded this time.