Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: House flooded!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The house is 6 years old and we have lived here since new.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only 6 years eh. .....You might need to check your rights on such a young property. Inadequate drainage for starters & I'm sure there is something in the Building regs for upto 10 years on new building developments. Could depend on Vendor, local council, land lie, covenants etc....

Tbh though, I would have thought your Insurance Co. would be upto speed on this sort of thing. Then again, Ins. Co's are like Car Salesmen.....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dave
    How's your house hunting getting on.
    Are you grey or bald yet with all the stress.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like we have finally found a house. Paper work is going through now. Is in the centre of Chichester behind the hospital. It's a bit of a built up area, but is the last house at the bottom of a road, with a field to the side, so ideal for our cats. Quite a nice 3 story town house, built about the same time as our own. Very small garden, but at least it has one, plus two parking spaces.

If everything goes through we might be able to move in as early as Friday.

Insurance company are also paying for the removal company, and they even pack our belongings for us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear you've found something which is one less for you worry about Sound like the insurance company are going to be ok for you and do a good job at dealing with your situation.

All the best

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good news then,
    will the new home have an dedicated area for the Amigas ??

any time i see a friend moving from one home to another, i allways imagine how i will do it myself....
    I need room for my Miggys, and even more room to my railwork system... i have more then 40 meters of rails in a 4x4 meter basement,
    so anywhere i go, i would need 2 extra rooms for hobbys....
    but here in Portugal, (don't now why) but most of people don't rent a house, we buy it, its less expensive per month to buy then to rent.
    I pay +/- 400 euros a month for my litle home (bedrrom+living room+kitchen+WC+basemment), if i were to rent a similar house, it would be
    450 minimum...
    so i bought the house, i ask a 90.000 euros loan that i will pay in 30 years.... 10 allready done, so more 20 years... but when those 30 years are gone, the house is mine, i dont have to pay more. I know that a lot of countries is not like this, sometimes the oposite, less expensive to rent then to buy...

And now with all the crises, on top of the interest rate, they put a spread, mine is euribor rate + 0,45% spread, but since the crises, banks want 2% or more of spread, so if i would buy a similar house, i would pay now more then 550 euros, instead of 400 .....
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tiago, people here tend to prefer buying houses than renting. I suppose its just something that we have always done; people habe always wanted to own their own house.

I did see on the TV a while back, about people in other parts of Europe, where the vast majority of houses are rented, they seemed surprised that we in England are very insistant on purchasing our houses.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw that also. Especially in France and Italy most people seem to rent. Here in the UK most people do try to buy, rather than rent as it does normally work out cheaper to pay a mortgage to buy a house, than to rent. Obviously there are many people who can't get a mortgage so have to rent. Our house is ours with a mortgage, and in comparision the rented house we aremoving into would cost £1250 a month to rent! Our mortgage is much less than that a month.

Regarding room for Amigas and all things retro... the rented house is larger than our own house. Our house is 2 floors with 3 bedrooms, whereas the rented house is 3 floors with 4 bedrooms. Much larger rooms too so I have to make sure I don't get used to all the extra space and expand my stuff too much, or when we move back I will have to try and squeeze it all back in again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For us we find renting is a lot cheaper than buying we are only paying £380 per month + in the last 3 years we have had a new kitchen + new boiler fitted.
    It's an end house 2 double bedrooms and the biggest garden on the row in a cul de sac. We have been here now 12 years now.
    Any way glad you are now getting sorted with a house now. You will soon fill the bigger house
    Many Thanks
    Andrew
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

Downloads
    Uploads
    £1250 a month to Rent! - Crikey, but the Insurance has it & at least you are now sorted until your home can be repaired. A small dent in all the upheaval of this, but it surely must be a huge weight off your minds too Dave.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.