Downloads
    Uploads

A1200 + 3.5in HDD

Hi All
    I am struggling to get a 3.5 HDD to work in Winuae what i am doing is setting up a 2.5in HDD it works in Winuae then do the same for a 3.5in HDD and it does not work so a little puzzled.
    My aim is to use one of my spare 3.5in 80gig HDD in A1200 then install SFS or PFS which ever one is easier to set up.
    The only thing i can think of is what is a 2.5in HDD set as default master/slave/cable select.
    So what should a 3.5in HDD be set at master/slave/cable select.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Master or cable select should work.

Also was the drive previously PC partitioned? If so it will mount on the PC and WinUAE won't be able to take control of it. Wipe the partitions from it in Windows disk manager so the whole drive is unformatted, then try again.

How are you powering the 3.5" drive in the A1200?

2.5" drives use a 44pin cable that powers the drive. 3.5" drives use a 40pin cable, and need a separate power cable.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dave thanks for the reply.
    I managed to get it to work at last here's a pic
    I got ClassicWB installed using the system zip method i installed it in WinUAE. When i rebooted it i got two error messages can't remember which.
    So the put it into A1200 and it worked now got to install SFS hopefully so i can use all the HDD.
    The episode continues and i am now using converted PC power supply for A1200 + HDD. and i havent butchered the A520 to make RGB to scart yet !!
    and the HDD cable i am using is a 3.5in to 2.5in from amigakit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew1971; 31st May 2012 at 18:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    When trying to format SFS it gives two error's
    Work:SFSformat: Unknown command
    Work:SFSformat: Failed return code 10
    My work folder is
    Work SmartFileSystem/L/smartfilesystem
    The Command i am using is
    Work:SFSformat DRIVE DH1: NAME Storage
    Many Thanks
    Andrew

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely looks like it can't find the sfsformat command. Are you sure your files are in that location?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dave
    I have just out that i downloaded the wrong SFS file so i now got the right one.
    I have managed to get it all running in WinUAE now.
    The only problem i have is partition sizes how can i get over 4gig as i would like to have 1 big SFS partition to fill rest of the HDD
    So i have DH0 is about 2.5 gig and DH1 would be about 72gig.
    Once done i can cram it into the A1200 hammer and crowbar might do it
    Many Thanks
    Andrew

UPDATE
    How do i format SFS on real A1200 because in WinUAE it showed 71gig when i used check 4gb tool. But workbench showed 3.7ish gig 18meg used.
    and in real A1200 it showed DH1: NDOS so needs to be formatted. So why does WinUAE see it and real amgia doesnt.

UPDATE 2
    Re did the HDD DHO 2.8gig, DH1 33gig, DH2 38gig. Also had to install IDEFix on A1200 before WB saw then as usable.
    I use check 4gb to get the HDD sizes. Also WB only sees only few gig on DH1 and DH2 i assume thats wrong i think !!
    Hdd wont fit in case so remains outside with HDD cable coming out of the side nearly there
    Last edited by Andrew1971; 3rd June 2012 at 20:25.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to hear you got SFS working.

For DH0: I would recommend keeping it under 2GB (I always use 500MB as it's more than enough) and formatting it with FFS, not SFS. That way the boot partition holding Workbench will also boot without any problems. Once that is formatted and Workbench copied to it, copy SmartFileSystem in the L; drawer on your DH0: install. And when partitioning your SFS partitions make sure you install SFS onto the HDD's RDB as per the instructions. And after partitioning reboot before formatting them with the SFSformat command or it won't work because the Amiga/WinUAE won't know the SFS partitions exist properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    Re did the HDD DHO 2.8gig, DH1 33gig, DH2 38gig. Also had to install IDEFix on A1200 before WB saw then as usable.
    I use check 4gb to get the HDD sizes. Also WB only sees only few gig on DH1 and DH2 i assume thats wrong i think !!
    Hdd wont fit in case so remains outside with HDD cable coming out of the side nearly there
    Many Thanks
    Andrew

Update
    It's finished here's some picture's
    The HDD is cable tied to top case. the ties do not interfere with the F keys or escape key.
    Filed hole's for cables on top case.
    Athe back of pic 3 is my pc red cables going to HDD's it's all naked
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew1971; 6th June 2012 at 10:49.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So everything is working OK now? If so that is great.

Workbench should show the correct HDD space, at least it always has for me. The issue in Workbench is that by default it doesn't come with support for HDDs larger than 4GB. To get around this the solution is to replace the scsi.device with one that has 64bit 128GB support, which is where IDEFix comes in. If you still have problems I recommend wiping the HDD partitions, setting up just a 2GB or less Workbench boot partition and formatting it with FFS. Next install IDEFix and SFS, reboot, then setup the additional large partitions now that the OS and filesystems are both patched.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not the tidest of solutions to look at, but I admire your tenacity all the same.

If you still have the original Hard Drive bracket for your A1200, I can send you a small 2.5" hard drive for the cost of postage if you'd like a large internal solution. Maybe not 80Gb but at least 20GB. I can check later for you if you're interested?

Also, getting SFS set up correctly can be a bit of a sod. I always found the best way was to have a couple of Bootable partitions. Set one of them up with the normal FastFile System & SFS installed & simply use SFS to format all partitions on your hard drive. (not the one you are booting from, obviously)
    Copy the OS to your SFS Formatted partition, set boot priority higher than the first install & cold boot the Amiga. Once at the desktop, re-format the old boot partition with the SFS command & copy the OS back over. You can delete these files now, or drop them all into a folder called OS Backup. Reset the Boot prioritys on the partitions and enjoy. Another good idea is to copy all the SFS commands to your C: directory & then they will just run from CLI or Shell without the need for typing paths.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 6th June 2012 at 12:12. Reason: Typos
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.