Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a beamer

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Bought a beamer

After reviewing for almost 2 weeks beamers online, I finally decided to buy one, as I already wanted to do this longer time ago.

3D beamers are now on the market since some time, and the latest generation is very good, so I had a bit problems deciding which one to get.

I checked all the latest beamers from Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Epson, BenQ and Mitsubishi, where the Panasonic, Sony and the JVC made it in my last top 3.

I decided in the end to get the Panasonic, as it got almost everywhere great reviews. There was only one guy, here from Luxembourg, who has a high end Hifi shop who didn't like the Panasonic so much. So I called him, and he invited me to go to his place, where he could demonstrate me different beamers.

So last Friday I went there together with my girlfriend, and he made us a demonstration during 2 hours.

I now bought the JVC DLA-X30, because when I saw it running, it was just overwhelming Everything was truly perfect in my eyes. 2D, 3D, BluRay, games or even only DVD, everything looked just great. He even showed my an old, badly recorded DVD, which was still showing fine, not worse than some .avi files look on my actual plasma TV.

He showed my WipeOut HD 3D, and after 1 minute, I already felt dizzy, that was really amazing, but I guess that after 10 minutes of playing, you eventually will puke Gran Turismo also looked good, although feels less puky. He told me that still at the moment 3D games don't look very good yet, they are fine, but nothing groundbreaking. He said that the only real good one is Killzone 3. He also told me that once you played f.ex. Call of Duty or FIFA on a big screen, you never will want to return to normal sized screens again.

He showed my Avatar in 3D, and that was fantastic, but he mentioned that Avatar is at the moment one of the best 3D movies out. He then showed me something less good, but in my opinion, it was still great. He pointed me some minor ghosting in one scene, but I didn't even notice or see it.

2D is absolutely stunning, the JVC has by far the best luminosity, and you can clearly see that in dark scenes. The beamer ran the whole time in eco mode, but it was light enough to watch everything he showed me, absolutely perfect. When playing 3D material, the beamer of course switches to normal, because you lose almost 50% of the light because of using the shutter glasses. And it was still running very silent, louder than in eco mode, but still no PS3.

The big disadvantage of the Sony was that you have to put the 3D emitter in front of your projection screen, which forces you to pull another cable from the beamer through your room. Panasonic has that built in, which is obviously the best, and the JVC also has an external emitter, but you can just put it on top of the beamer.

The JVC has also a fixed iris (aperture), which gives you the same amount of black in the middle than at the edges of the screen, whereas Sony and Panasonic use dynamic iris, which first of all makes some noise when opening or closing, and the colors or black f.ex. fade towards the edge of the screen.

And the JVC is also the only one who uses an automatic lens shift, Sony has wheels on the beamer, and Panasonic has a stick, which, according to EVERY review I read, is really bad.

All of these beamers are in the same price category, between 2500€ and 3000€. That made it even more difficult to chose. I will get the JVC from the guy for 2500€, plus he will give me 2 3D glasses, which are around 100€ each. He will also come to my place to calibrate it, once it is installed, as it's already good in the default setting out of the box, but he explained me that with proper calibration you can get even better results.

As projection screen, I bought a motorized 16:9 Ultraluxx with a dimension of 240x135cm, which is around 110 inch, with a gain factor of 1.3 and it is also tensioned on the sides, which prevents waves in the canvas, which is not always the case with non-tensioned screens. The screen was 850€.

I will get the beamer on Friday, I have the screen already, and will start with the first preparations coming Monday. I cannot set it up yet, as I am also redoing the ceiling in my living room, where the beamer will be installed. Also the ceiling in the whole hallway will be redone. The wood I ordered will only get delivered on the 1st of June, so that coming week, 4th of June, I will install everything, quite big project.

Here are some reviews of the beamer:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-dl...ojector_review

http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_...tor_review.htm

http://www.avclubhouse.com/blog/2011...30-review.html

Verdict (from one of the reviews)

Well, whaddya know: with the X30 JVC has yet again set the bar for projection quality in the £3,000 projector class. It might almost be boring if the projector wasn’t so darn brilliant.

The X30 is overall a bigger step forward from the X3 then we’d expected, which means pretty much by default that it’s the finest projector in its class.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I had been tempted by home cinema projectors years ago, but never too seriously.

I hadn't realised 3D home projectors even existed. Is the 3D image effect better than a LCD 3D HDTV?

And do these projectors work in bright rooms? Or do you still need to dim the lights for the best image?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never saw an LCD 3D HDTV, I guess beamer is better, as bigger and more realistic.

You still need to dim the lights, otherwise it's too bright, but my room is quite dark already, and if I'm watching or playing, it's 90% in the evening, then it's dark anyway.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And it is safe to play games on it? In the past I know playing games on a projector could reduce the life of the projection bulbs, and those can cost a lot of money each time they need replacing.

Are these projectors LCD projection?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    These projectors are all LCD projection.

As long as you can keep your projector in eco mode, the lamp can last 4-5 times longer, and for gaming, at least with the JVC, eco mode produces enough light to be able to play, not different than watching a BD.

Btw, the JVC X30 is a D-ILA projector.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 15th May 2012 at 19:09.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm also buying a new A/V receiver, as the Pioneer (VSX-520) I have, doesn't support TrueHD and that stuff, and I have so many optical cables, splitters and switches, so that I decided to buy a good receiver, probably the Onkyo TX-NR609, which was product of the year 2011.

It comes with 5 HDMI inputs, that's exactly what I need, then I can get rid of all the stuff, and only plug my devices with HDMI only, instead of also having the optical cables.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just upgraded my AV receiver to a Sony STRDH820

Brilliant receiver for a very affordable price. Like you I wanted to get rid of a lot of cable clutter. However I was researching receivers and discovered these Sony ones contain a very good Faroudia DCDi EDGE upscaler that upscales all low res inputs and outputs them via HDMI in 1080p. This is a great solution for me as I can feed all my old consoles through this and all connect to the TV through a single HDMI cable.

It also has a fairly simple onscreen menu system for changing settings. You can also rename the receivers inputs displayed on the receive itself, so very handy to rename to things like PS3.

It has a lot of inputs too. 2 optical in and one out (I do wish it had more of these but I do have a solution) 7 RCA audio and composite, 2 component (again I wish there were a couple more but have a solution), and 4 HDMI inputs. Sadly no S-Video which would have been useful for my N64 as that is PAL N64's best output method, but I have an S-Video to VGA converter that works well for that.

This receive also supports all the latest audio formats, and also supports 7.2

It even has an iPod dock on the front which once connected you can then navigate and place audio/video from directly on the TV screen. Nice little additional feature.

Before this I had a fairly old Sony STR DB930 which was over 10 years old. It still supports all 5.1 formats and was still going strong, but lacked HDMI support, as well as component or upscaling.

Sony also sell a higher up model, called the DN2010 I think. That adds a few more features, but not enough for me to spend the extra.

Now, for the solution to limited optical and component inputs... I managed to get a Joytech control center 245c from ebay, brand new for 99p!

This is basically just a device switch. It has 7 source inputs, each with component, S-Video, Composite, RCA audio and optical, and then one output mirroring these. It is only a passthrough switch and not a converter, so if you connect something via say composite, it only outputs it from the composite out. It also has an ethernet hub built in for connecting consoles all directly through this one device.

So I'm using this with the Sony receiver, so I have the composite, optical and composites all connected from the 245c to the receiver, and I just need to switch sources on the 245c and the Sony receiver upscales them all and outputs them to HDMI 1080p.

For me this is a very nice solution.

The only thing I'm completely missing from this whole setup is SCART RGB. For that I currently don't have a solution, although I've been considering the XRGB3 for some time, but the newer XRGB-mini is about to get an English firmware release, and will be even better as that has HDMI out too, plus with its scanline generator will be great for retro systems.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same Joytech switch, then gave it away and exchanged it against one from Auvisio, which is a HDMI, SCART and optical switch, 4-1. But that's also the one I want to get rid of.

I bought now the Onkyo NR616, it's their newest model, the NR609 does not get produced anymore. It is quite similar, it only has some stuff more, like 8 HDMI inputs, and 2 HDMI outputs or f.ex. supports MP3tunes.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 16th May 2012 at 15:23.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Btw, here's the explanation for D-ILA (LCoS):

Liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS or LCOS) is a "micro-projection" or "micro-display" technology typically applied in projection televisions. It is a reflective technology similar to DLP projectors; however, it uses liquid crystals instead of individual mirrors. By way of comparison, LCD projectors use transmissive LCD chips, allowing light to pass through the liquid crystal. In LCoS, liquid crystals are applied directly to the surface of a silicon chip coated with an aluminized layer, with some type of passivation layer, which is highly reflective.

LCoS technology can typically produce higher resolution and higher contrast images than standard liquid crystal display and plasma display technologies, which makes it less expensive to implement in such devices as televisions.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the stuff today, now I'm waiting until the 4th of June to start setting everything up, really looking forward to it.