Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a beamer

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment I'm watching some stuff, and I have to tell, this is AWESOME, trying to d/l some 3D stuff to test. But the beamer is already great out of the box, wonder what's happening if it's calibrated? I didn't change f.ex. anything yet to colour, brightness, contrast, gamma... and it's already looking great. Keeping you updated.......................

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's looking really good now you have the edging strips in place. Nice work.

You didn't try and do a hidden tray for the projector then? rising up into the roof to hide when not in use?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    At the moment I'm watching some stuff, and I have to tell, this is AWESOME, trying to d/l some 3D stuff to test. But the beamer is already great out of the box, wonder what's happening if it's calibrated? I didn't change f.ex. anything yet to colour, brightness, contrast, gamma... and it's already looking great. Keeping you updated.......................
    Yes, the Calibration thing appears a bit "flim flam like" to me. Calibration is something done at factory level before they are shipped. Surely all the end user has to do is adjust the focus and up/down/left/right position on the shelf it sits on & perhaps tweak the colours/brightness/etc to suit their own preference. Then again, if your supplier offers you these services & you are happy to pay for them, I guess you're paying for what you're getting.

I did see a D/L'd 3D version of Avatar running from a Western Digital Media box on the latest Panasonic £1500 52" Plasma. Aside from the 3-D glasses pi$$ing me off, it was very good indeed.

/....Kin walks off waiting for 3-D technology to appear without the need for retard glasses.....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great project would be nice to see a youtube vid once is all setup and running fully calibrated at least with you having someone come out to calibrate it you can see how its all done for future reference

I did hear awhile back about them trying out 3d tv's without the need for "retard glasses" based on the nintendo 3ds technology and how we should see the first tv's by the end of 2012? But to get a good quality may not be that simple!

@kin I see you've got yourself a nice speedtest there

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, there are often many settings of things like Luminance on projectors, so if the guy calibrating it has some gear like a lux light meter he might be able to optimise it for the specific room.

Regarding 3D TVs, they do already exist without the need for glasses, and were shown at the recent German expo. However they only have a limited "sweet spot" position where you have to sit to see the 3D properly, so a bit restrictive still. At the moment it has to be like that so your eyes intercept the 2 different "stereo" images to create the 3D. Similar in a way to a surround sound setup where you have to sit in the spot where you have positioned and directed the speakers, and the information given to the AV receiver for the distances.

If topic, but regarding AV receivers... my Sony AV receiver has a cook feature of setting up the speakers. It comes with its own special microphone you plug into a dedicated port and position where you will be sitting. The Receiver's setup then uses the microphone to calibrate itself and adjust for the best possible sound. Quite cool. Easier than having to get out the measuring tape and feed the speaker distances in manually, as I have to with my older Receiver. The distances allow the receiver to set speaker delays to optimise exactly when you will receive all sounds from every direction at the same time. So rears being closer would have a slightly longer delay so the longer distance fronts sound reaches at the same time.

The real next generation for TV though is holographic TV if they can ever get it fully working and with a wide field of view. At the moment holographic TV will only work if you are sitting in a very specific spot and looking directly at the projection. Recently on the BBC program "Click" they showed the early prototypes of this technology and they said it did work, but was not yet full colour. The company stated it would be within a year, and in high definition. I wait to see how real these claims are though. And one huge negative at the moment is that the technology currently uses industrial medical technology to create and project the image so is big... so if we thought we had got rid of the huge CRTs for good, we might end up with something even larger!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ DonAmiga

Yes, Great download speeds of 6.5Mb/sec when it's at full chat. Despite the speed, I still can't play tennis, ride a bike, swim or play online games. Maybe I need a Tampon up my backside eh?
    ....or better still, ALL the Downstream SNR my wires are actually capable of, to deliver a service that actually works as it is inteded to. The saga continues......

@ Harrison

Yes, Luminance is different in every room & quite important to set up correctly of a fashion, but where do you draw the line? You'd be for ever changing the settings on Rainy days, sunny days, cloudy days & what about night time? - Oh crap, I just blew a spotlight, wheres the Luminance meter?

The newer AV recievers are very lucky with this Mic set up facility. I have a stunning Yamaha AX2 (£1500 in it's day) & it's all manual. It's quite painstaking & a complete pain in the ass tbh.

CRT displays are very old now & the newer technologies of display devices still have a long long way to go yet. One gripe for me RE: Flat panels, especially PC ones, is the total lack of Colour Gamut to choose from, resulting in banding & blocky visuals. Sure, Pro monitors have bigger Gamuts to select from, but then the price goes through the roof along with the refresh times, making gaming utter crap. I have to digress at PC gamers saying their 60Hz flat panel rocks when gaming.

@ Deamon Cleaner

I'm guessing the Calibration guy came round last Friday from what you said earlier, so how is it for you now?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    @ Harrison

One gripe for me RE: Flat panels, especially PC ones, is the total lack of Colour Gamut to choose from, resulting in banding & blocky visuals. Sure, Pro monitors have bigger Gamuts to select from, but then the price goes through the roof along with the refresh times, making gaming utter crap. I have to digress at PC gamers saying their 60Hz flat panel rocks when gaming.
    The danger these days is that there are a lot of really low cost 16:9 1080p resolution computer monitors on the market with quite bad image quality. Some of the ones less that £100 are quite bad, and have really bad viewing angles, which is the biggest issue with a flat panel because the screen brightness, colour, contrast etc all changes with the slightest og head movement.

Pro monitors are definitely worth the investment if you can. My Dell U2711 is really nice and I've not noticed any refresh rate issues in games with it. It's also amazing running games in 2560x1440 resolution. And, yes at reasonable frame rates too. Star Wars: The Old Republic ticks along nicely at 75-130fps, which is good enough for me.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The guy came indeed on Friday, and needed about 90 minutes to calibrate everything.

He set up a camera in front of the screen, and then sends different colored pictures over the beamer to the screen via laptop. The camera is then taking pictures, and evaluating them, giving you a diagram with the RGB colors. Mine was a bit too blueish, so he changed that. You can set the gain and offset for every single color, so that they come close and overlap each other. He repeated that test after every change, until he had what he wanted. Took him about 7-8 times.

Then he also calibrated the lens and created me a custom profile, which I should now use for everything, is it movies, series, normal TV, HD, gaming... Only for the 3D I have now to press one button, because that's a different setting.

This is what he was using to calibrate the colors

He also entered the service menu of the beamer over some key combination on the remote, and changed some of the stuff there, don't know what exactly, he was too fast for me

After he finished, I asked him how much I would have to pay, and he said that it's fine, he did it for free. That was great, as I know the prices for this, and it's quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    If topic, but regarding AV receivers... my Sony AV receiver has a cook feature of setting up the speakers. It comes with its own special microphone you plug into a dedicated port and position where you will be sitting.
    Almost every new receiver has that, the Onkyo too, that's called Audyssey. I did that with mine too, but on Friday the guy also quickly checked these settings, and changed them a bit, as he prefers to do it without the Audyssey, said that you would get better results without. But the Audyssey thing is already good.

I was playing a bit Killzone 3 during the weekend, and it's just amazing, I was blown away. Yesterday I watched some series with my girlfriend and then the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and she was also blown away. The screen together now with the Onkyo and the B&W speakers gives you the perfect home cinema feeling, I'm absolutely happy with the stuff.

I also watched 2 games of the football, and that's also awesome, there's nothing so far that isn't gorgeous.

I will try to make some photos when there's something running, but I doubt that the photos will give you a true picture how it looks in reality.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 11th June 2012 at 14:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    Demon Cleaner what's your address again i forgot !!
    Many Thanks
    Andrew
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also now bought a BluRay player, as there seems to be problems with my PS3 playing 3D stuff.

First of all, the old PS3 model only plays 3D when connected straight away to the source, in my case the beamer, and not looped through an A/V receiver. And the sound only works over toslink, and not HDMI. Second, 3D games are only supported from firmware 3.70 and higher, but I'm stuck at 3.55, further CFW will perhaps give me the opportunity to play 3D games.

I bought the Oppo 93 BD player, which is absolutely great, go only best reviews, and is the best player in the upper mid class ranged players.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Mag
    The Oppo BDP-93 is one of the most expensive Blu-ray players we've ever reviewed, and it's easily the largest, but it's also the best. With a wide array of features both casual users and high-end enthusiasts can enjoy, and the best speed and video processing performance we've seen yet, the Oppo BDP-93 easily earns our Editors' Choice.
    AVForums review: http://www.avforums.com/review/Oppo-...sc-Player.html

Home Theater review: http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-di...ayer-reviewed/

SoundStage review: http://soundstagex.com/index.php?opt...cles&Itemid=50

Audioholics review: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ts/oppo-bdp-93

BluRayPlayers.net review: http://bluray-players.net/oppo/oppo-bdp-93-review/

Prillaman review: http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp93_review.html

And I could go on...

But I think that now I spent enough money

All together for my little home cinema:

- Beamer JVC DLA-X30: 3000€
    - A/V Receiver Onkyo TX-NR616: 550€
    - Projection Screen Ultraluxx TS Tension 108": 850€
    - Speakers Bowers & Wilkins M1: 1100€
    - Subwoofer Yamaha NS SW 210: 150€
    - BD Player Oppo 93 (multiregion): 700€
    - Panels for ceiling plus lights and dimmer: 1000€
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 12th June 2012 at 13:05.