Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a beamer

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. Are you going to take any pictures of the final setup once complete? Would love to see some.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I will definitely do that, this afternoon, when coming home from work, I will already start with all the preparations, drilling holes for lights (spotlights), pulling all the needed cables, and looking for the best spot on the ceiling to put the screen. Hopefully everything goes fine.

Need also to find the best support for the beamer, think I'm gonna built something out of wood, official supports are quite expensive (300-400€), and most of the other ones don't fit or are not suited for that weight, the JVC X30 weighs 15kg.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 25th May 2012 at 06:57.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, here's some work I did this week. I want to put the new wooden ceiling against the old one, and to give the old one a bit more hold, I attached it with about 200 screws to the wooden joists that are underneath. It also has to hold the beamer (15kg) and the projection screen (22kg). Now it really holds perfectly.

I removed a lot of cables, and had to clean, as it was quite dirty behind the TV. I also removed one DVD player, which I mainly bought to play DivX, but since long time it's not needed anymore. I also got rid of my HDMI control center, as the Onkyo has 8 HDMI inputs.

This is what I removed.

The old BOSE subwoofer, the Pioneer receiver and DVD player.

The HDMI control center, and my Dyson

The new Yamaha subwoofer.

Onkyo plugged, and ready for setup.

Less cables now behind the TV.

Everything in place again.

The devices.

Whole setup.

I only have no still to setup the Onkyo, as yesterday it got quite late when I finished, and I didn't have patience anymore to do it, so I will eventually do it this afternoon.

I probably want to change also my speakers now, but I don't know yet, perhaps I want to change for the same cubes I have, but the newer "doubled" model, because there are already the fixations on the walls. But I will look for some other, not too expensive small speakers, f.ex. Klipsch has some nice and good stuff.

Now waiting for the week of the 4th of June to come, to put the ceiling and also fix beamer and screen, and finally and hopefully enjoying the whole thing.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I called a friend of mine this morning, he works in a Hifi shop (in a speciality shop) since over 20 years, and has quite good experience with the stuff. So I told him that I exchanged the receiver, the subwoofer and would now use the BOSE speakers connected directly to the receiver.

He told me that I would get a bad sound like this, as the BOSE cube satellite speakers are meant to be together with that subwoofer (a passive one), because of the crossover audio and other stuff.

So I went to him to the shop, and he suggested me B&W speakers, the new M1 model. They look good, very good built quality, and also very good sound quality. They're not too big, like average PC desktop speakers. So I bought 5 of them. One black as center, will fit better under a black TV, and 4 white for the now white walls and soon white ceiling.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Demon, are you going to left all stuff in top of those weels? From a purist way, that sould not be the best solution, as it will vibrate a bit. Best solution would be on spikes with bases for speakers, but you can also do it for the rest

http://www.audioholics.com/education...019s-the-point

I put spikes with bases to my Monitor Audio Speakers, and only spikes for Amp.

but you must pay a lot of attention to hear the difference... If speakers are not 100% flat base, or the floor is not regular the sound will not be the best, so the spykes with regulation should level it.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Demon, are you going to left all stuff in top of those weels? From a purist way, that sould not be the best solution, as it will vibrate a bit.
    ? The speakers are not on the shelves with the wheels. The subwoofer stands on the ground, and the speakers are attached on the wall.

I finished now putting the new speakers.

Boxed.

Attached to the wall.

Front speaker is standing in front of the TV.

Now I will set the receiver up, gonna probably also take some time.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. B&W is one of the best speakers makes you can buy, so you should be really happy with those.

I've been considering changing my huge floor standing Eltax front speakers, plus the rest of the setup, for all satellites mounted in the corners of the room, as they take up so little space and are nearly invisible. However, there is no way I could afford B&W's these days. I've been looking at Tannoy which I've heard and sound really good.

Wanted to ask. What was wrong with your old Bose setup?

Also, I know you sold most of your retro gaming hardware, but have you now got rid of all your older consoles? Did you even sell your PS2? With so many RPGs on there still to play I thought you might have held on to that one.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The BOSE system was working really nice, but basically it was only a 5.0 system, as it had a passive subwoofer, which was not connected directly to the receiver. And as I bought now an active subwoofer, my friend told me that the BOSE satellites would then behave very strangely when connected directly to the receiver. They were just tweeters, and would give a bad sound. So I had to buy new ones, and as I know that the B&W are quite good, I decided to get them. But everything together now, speakers, subwooder, receiver, beamer and projection screen was quite expensive now, and I didn't plan to spend that much, but I thought myself, why not getting it now, it really will be a good home cinema, which I always wanted to have.

I sold all my retro stuff, but I kept PS1, PS2, DC, GC, and the old XBox.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you connected your remaining retro stuff to that setup? Or somewhere else? I've not located all my retro systems into my study/office instead of the living room, and have a 5.1 receiver and speaker setup in both rooms. Only console currently downstairs is the Wii as we need the extra space to use it. I'm currently considering what to use down there to stream media from upstairs. Might use a second Xbox.

Your cable clutter looked very similar to mine when I started moving everything a couple of months ago. Amazing the number of cables you can hide behind things. I definitely want to declutter more and am actually considering going more emulation like you have just to redice cable clutter even more. Maybe get some controllers converted to USB to use with emulators and ditch the real ones.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    ? The speakers are not on the shelves with the wheels. The subwoofer stands on the ground, and the speakers are attached on the wall.
    Ok then, and the player cd/dvd? where are you going to put it? I mean that with even small rotation of cd/dvd makes a litle vibration when not stable.
    That is what's written on books, but i wounder if we can feel much difference...

The system looks good.
    The front speaker that is standing in front of the TV, how high are your seats/sofa?
    Looks like from the picture, that the front speaker is almost the same high that where the screens of TV starts. Is it high enough so that
    the speaker don't stay in front of the image? Only if you are going to be seat down in a low sofa, otherwise it would not be a problem.
    A500 - A600 - A1200