Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Need a copy utility

So, I've got fragment of old user folders from old windows installs spread across a couple of hardrives, as lasily I never did a proper transfer and back up (all the important stuff is backed up, but every now and then Lady T will ask about a file she left on the desktop 3 or 4 years ago, back on XP).

So, I'd like to compile all of this stuff onto just one of my HDD partitions, so I can format the rest and use one for 'my documents' and the other for incoming torrents.

Trying to copy things like this using windows explorer is a nuisance as it doesn't always copy everything and nags about permissions.

Is there a command, or a free utility that i can tell "copy all that stuff, from there to here - and copy EVERYTHING"?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at this: http://codesector.com/teracopy

I've been using TeraCopy for a long time and it is a huge improvement over the built in Windows copy. It installs as a built in Windows command alongside the standard copy one and gives you the option to copy of move when right clicking on something. It uses its own copying code and is a lot faster at moving files that Windows own one is. Best of all, and this will be what you will like, is that it doesn't pause if it finds a problem with a file during a large transfer, instead it keeps going until the end, and then it opens a window listing files it had problems with, why it had problems and allows you to select ones to try again if wanted. So you know it has copied everything else not in the list. It even has a CRC check to make sure files copied completely intact and were not corrupted during the move/copy process.

best of all it is lightweight and just looks like a slightly larger copy bar when running, with a bit more information than the standard Windows version.

It's also free for non commercial use, which is nice.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice! Thanks. I think I've seen mention of that somewhere before, but I'll be damned if I can remember properly.

I'll give this a try soon. It'll make life so much easier. I currently have data spread all over the place, which hopefully I can now consolidate - and then plan out how I want to use my HDDs. I bought an SSD for my OS drive, and even on the old 3800 x2 it makes a nice difference. If I step up to a new cpu/mobo/ram it will feel really nice... I just have to see if I really need to - at the moment I don't do anything all that intensive with this box.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I opened a thread about it some time ago: http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/...light=teracopy

Btw, there is a newer version now, and it seems to be more stable than the previous one. Before the program sometimes got stuck, and had to be shut down, which was really annoying. Didn't happen very often, but just sometimes, when you needed it the least to happen, it did.

Now with the newer version, it didn't happen once.

Another good feature is that you can copy one folder, already chose your next action(s), and it will always wait until one is finished, before starting with the next. So it doesn't slow down whilst copying to a same HDD. And when you f.ex. 7th action copies again to a folder that you already used in one of your previous actions, it adds it to that queue.