Thread: Norton

Hybrid View

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Norton

Anyone know what Norton is like these days?

My Dad's girlfriend's dad bought her a laptop last month from PC World. I think the spec was a little outdated but it would be fine for what they want (accessing the internet downstairs), and they got it at a good price.

But of course he was tricked into buying Norton, so my Dad has decided they will use that on this laptop since they have a years worth of it.

So, I was just wondering if anyone here had used it recently, and if so, is it any good, or it is just a pain in the backside*?

*Most security software it like that in my opinion, but some is definitely worse than others.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that Norton got better nowadays, their biggest problem was often that it used too many resources running in the background, thus slowing down your PC. But the competition is quite big at the moment, and there are better ones out there. Norton lost a bit of their reliability due to the problem I mentioned.

I personally use now the Comodo Internet Security, and I'm really happy with it. Once set up correctly, it just runs smooth and you don't notice any slowdowns or other negative side effects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    I use microsoft security essentials and its free. i had no trouble at all its running on our 2 PC'S and 1 laptop on it. doesn't slow laptop down thats a 1.8ghz single core 2gig ram running windows 7
    ultimate 32bit so no problem.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971
    A600 6gig HDD, 3.1 Rom, ClassicWB GAAE, Pcmcia Adapter to cf.
    A1200 80gig HDD, 3.0 Rom ClassicWB Lite.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Norton and had it up until recently. The only reason I dropped it was because it's cheaper to buy a new version off the shelf than to renew your subscription which I find a load of *&$%. I'm now using AVG and Avast at the moment.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Norton's has definitely improved a lot from the 2010 edition onwards when they completely rewrote it. However it is still bloatware, filling up way too much HDD space, and it still uses a lot of system resources, although it is now much better with CPU time than it was before. It is however still not the greatest at detecting threats, although it is higher up than AVG which is complete rubbish. So many people's laptops I've had to clean of virus infections have been running AVG thinking they were protected, but it was happily letting all sorts of things through, including some quite horrible viruses that pretended to be a virus checker themselves.

I personally still use a 3 license copy of Kaspersky and have been extermely happy with it. And for other systems I just the free Comodo Internet Security, which is the only free one I would recommend to people.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use MSE on all of our computers, and yeah it's OK. Nice and simple, unobtrusive and although I haven't looked in much detail, doesn't seem to slow things down too much.

I used to use Norton many years ago and it was a real bitch to remove when I wanted to switch.